Troubleshooting: How to Install and Use MikTex on Windows XP - Guide

• Thread starter malawi_glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, the conversation is about how to get LaTeX and pdfTeX to work on a PC with Windows XP. The speaker has a zip file containing files and directories, and is unsure of how to proceed. The response suggests using the script build.sh in the src/texk/web2c/pdftexdir directory and updating the TeX installation. If that doesn't work, there are additional resources available on the website www.tug.org.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi you guys!
I have miktex installed on my pc(winxp) but how do I get Latex?:S And how do I get pdftex to work? I just have a zip file now witch contains a bunch of files and directories. This is what is written in a file called "Install"

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The code of pdfTeX is in src/texk/web2c/pdftexdir

Try the script build.sh in this directory. If it succeeds, you should end up
with the files pdftex and pdftex.pool in build/texk/web2c

If you are using a TeX distribution older than 2005 (e.g. teTeX 2.x), please
first update your complete TeX installation.

Replace the so-named files in your TeX installation with these and regenerate
all formats of your TeX installation (e.g. with "fmtutil --refresh").

If all else fails, follow the clues in README, src/texk/INSTALL and
src/texk/web2c/INSTALL.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not understand a thing how to get this work

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Install a LaTex gui such as Technicenter...

Look at www.tug.org for them and you should be able to make it work fairly quickly.

Hi there,

Installing and using MikTex on Windows XP can be a bit tricky, but don't worry, I'm here to help. Let's go through the steps together.

First, to get LaTeX, you need to install the base MikTex package. You can do this by going to the MikTex website and downloading the basic MikTex installer for Windows XP. Once it's downloaded, run the installer and follow the prompts to complete the installation.

Next, to get pdftex to work, you'll need to follow the instructions in the "Install" file that you mentioned. It seems like you have a zip file that contains the necessary files and directories, so let's work with that.

Open the zip file and look for the "src" folder. Inside the "src" folder, you should see another folder called "texk". Inside the "texk" folder, you will find a folder called "web2c". Inside the "web2c" folder, you will find the "pdftexdir" folder.

Now, follow the instructions in the "Install" file:

1. Run the "build.sh" script in the "pdftexdir" folder.
2. If it succeeds, you should see the files "pdftex" and "pdftex.pool" in the "build/texk/web2c" folder.
3. If you have an older TeX distribution (before 2005), make sure to update it first.
4. Replace the existing "pdftex" and "pdftex.pool" files in your TeX installation with the ones you just built.
5. Finally, regenerate all formats of your TeX installation using the command "fmtutil --refresh".

If you're still having trouble, take a look at the "README", "src/texk/INSTALL", and "src/texk/web2c/INSTALL" files for more guidance. And if you get stuck, don't hesitate to reach out for help.

I hope this helps and you're able to successfully install and use MikTex on your Windows XP machine. Happy LaTeX-ing!

1. What is MikTex and why do I need it?

MikTex is a free, open-source software that allows you to easily install and use LaTeX, a typesetting system commonly used for scientific and mathematical documents. It provides a user-friendly interface and all the necessary tools for creating high-quality documents.

2. How do I install MikTex on my Windows XP computer?

To install MikTex on your Windows XP computer, follow these steps:

• Go to the MikTex website and download the installer for Windows XP.
  • Double-click on the installer to begin the installation process.
  • Follow the instructions on the screen and choose the default settings.
  • Once the installation is complete, you can start using MikTex.

3. How do I use MikTex to create a document?

To create a document using MikTex, follow these steps:

• Open MikTex and click on "New File" to create a new document.
  • Type your document using LaTeX commands and syntax.
  • Click on "Typeset" to compile your document and view the output.
  • Save your document by clicking on "Save" or "Save As".

4. What should I do if I encounter errors while using MikTex?

If you encounter errors while using MikTex, check the MikTex documentation or community forums for solutions. You can also try reinstalling MikTex or updating to the latest version. If the problem persists, contact MikTex support for further assistance.

5. Can I use MikTex to collaborate with others on a document?

Yes, you can use MikTex to collaborate with others on a document. You can share your source files with others and they can compile them using MikTex on their own computers. You can also use version control systems such as Git to collaborate on a document with others.

Back