Help with Mathematica: Solving Equations and Calculating Areas

In summary, chroot gave Warren a tutorial on how to use the Integrate function in Mathematica. Warren tries to plot two equations but is not sure how to find points of the integral.
eftenpuften
please help in mathematica

hello everyone. i am very new on mathematica.I have 2 problem :( at first, i have to eavluate the numerical equivalent of tan(45/Pi+Pi/45) when i wrote on mathematica like this:
In[21]:=
Tan[45/Pi+Pi/45]
Out[21]=
\!\(Tan[45\/π + π\/45]\)

it gives me that one. can not i get a real number from this?It doesn't solve tangent.i tried Solve[..] or Evaluate[..] but both they didnt work. And secondly how can i find the are of the region enclosed by the curves : y+45(x+45)=0 and y-x^3/45+45=0 ? i really don't have any idea about this. thanks for your helps from now.. it is very urgent i hope someone could help me :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Either put "// N" at the end of your expression, or, equivalently, wrap your expression into a call to N like this:

N[ Tan[45/Pi + Pi/45], 50]

This will give you fifty decimal places of precision, which is more than you'll need, I assume.

As for your second question, you'll need to use the Integrate function.

- Warren

thank you so much chroot... i have done the first one. but i m really new on this mathematica. how can i use integral? i know i have to use. and i think it will be double integral. but how will i find the points of the integral? Could you please help me ? :) thank you from now on

Well, the first step is to plot the two curves, so you know what you're dealing with.

Plot[ y+45(x+45) == 0, {x, -100, 100} ]

will plot the first function from x = -100 to x = 100. Note that there are two equal signs in there. You need to use two equal signs to express equality in Mathematica. (Single equal signs are used for variable assignments.)

You can plot many equations at once by putting a list of equations in { }, like this:

Plot[ { equation == 0, equation == 0 }, {x, -100, 100} ]

See if you can plot your two equations on the same graph, and look at the area between them. From what I can tell, you have not provided the complete question here.

- Warren

p.s. You need to look up the Integrate function in Mathematica's help, and try it for yourself, before I will help you with it.

thanks chroot :) these are really helpful informations :)

1. How can I solve equations using Mathematica?

To solve equations using Mathematica, you can use the built-in functions such as Solve or NSolve. These functions take in the equation as input and return the solutions as output. You can also use FindRoot to find specific numerical solutions.

2. Can Mathematica calculate areas?

Yes, Mathematica has built-in functions for calculating areas of various shapes such as rectangles, triangles, circles, and more. You can use Area or RegionMeasure to calculate the area of a specific shape.

3. How do I plot equations and areas in Mathematica?

To plot equations and areas in Mathematica, you can use the Plot function. For areas, you can use the RegionPlot function. These functions take in the equation or region as input and generate a graphical representation of it.

4. Can Mathematica solve equations with multiple variables?

Yes, Mathematica can solve equations with multiple variables using the Solve or NSolve functions. You can specify the variables in the equation and Mathematica will return the solutions in terms of those variables.

5. Is there a way to check if my equation has a solution in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the Solve or NSolve functions and check if the output contains any solutions. If there are no solutions, Mathematica will return an empty list. You can also use Reduce to check the conditions for a solution to exist.