Integration of upper functions (from Apostol)

In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise from a mathematical analysis textbook that gives an example of an upper function f on the interval I = [0,1]. The function is defined as f(x) = 1 if x is a member of some interval I_n and 0 otherwise. Part a of the exercise shows that {s_n} is an increasing sequence of step functions that generates f. Part b asks to prove that the integral of f is less than or equal to 2/3. The conversation also includes a clarification between two individuals about the technical details of the exercise.
travis0868

Homework Statement

(10.4 in Mathematical Analysis by Apostol)
This exercise gives an example of an upper function f on the interval I = [0,1] such that -f (not a member of) U(I). Let {r1, r2, ...} denote the set of rational numbers in [0,1] and let I_n = [r_n - 4^-n, r_n + 4^-n] (intersect) I. Let f(x) = 1 if x (is a member of) I_n for some n, and let f(x) = 0 otherwise.

a. Let f_n(x) = 1 if x (is a member of) I_n, f_n(x) = 0 if x (is not a member of) I_n and let s_n = max(f_1,...,f_n). show that {s_n} is an increasing sequence of step functions which generates f. This shows that f (is a member of U(I).

b. Prove that Integral f <= 2/3

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand part b. Suppose that your set of rational numbers has r_1 = 0. Then I_1 = [0 - 1, 0 + 1] intersect [0,1] = [0,1]. Thus s_n = 1 over [0,1]. The step integral of s_n over [0,1] equals 1. As n->infinity, the integral remains 1. Thus Integral f = 1.

What am I missing here?

Travis

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's the reason for the 4 in 4^(-n) and starting the indexing with n=1. If n=1 then the interval is [r1-1/4,r1+1/4]. But this kind of stuff is just technical detail. You do get the actual picture, right?

Thanks a lot, Dick. I get it now.

What is the concept of integration in mathematics?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve in a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to solve a wide range of problems in mathematics and other fields.

How do you integrate a function using the upper function method?

To integrate a function using the upper function method, you need to first identify the upper function, which is the function that is always greater than or equal to the original function within the given interval. Then, you can use the properties of integration to simplify the integration process.

What are the properties of integration used in the upper function method?

The properties of integration used in the upper function method include the linearity property, the power rule, the constant multiple rule, and the sum and difference rule. These properties allow for the simplification of integration by breaking down the original function into smaller, easier to integrate parts.

What are the advantages of using the upper function method for integration?

The upper function method is advantageous because it allows for the integration of more complex functions that cannot be easily integrated using traditional methods. It also provides a systematic approach to integration, making it easier to follow and less prone to errors.

Can the upper function method be used for definite and indefinite integrals?

Yes, the upper function method can be used for both definite and indefinite integrals. For definite integrals, the upper function method helps to determine the boundaries of integration. For indefinite integrals, it simplifies the integration process by breaking down the original function into smaller parts.