Need great books on great topics

In summary, the conversation is about a request for book recommendations on advanced information theory, specifically Shannon's information theory. The person also asks for suggestions on books about probability, optimization, curve fitting, and modeling. They mention a previous discussion on the topic on the Physics Forums website and express their openness to recommendations from different people.
ramesh10dulkar
I need a book on advanced information theory. It should be more towards computers and communication than theoritical physics. It would also be great if some one could suggest books on probability, optimization, curve fitting and modelling. So, mathematicians here, tell me your favourites.

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems to be very similar to the question recently asked here at PF by (?) someone else ; see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1442908#post1442908

When you say "information theory", do you mean Shannon's information theory? See the PF thread "What is Information?" at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=183900&highlight=What+is+information if you don't understand the question. I already offered some reading recommendations in that thread, but see the first thread I cited for my cautionary comments regarding "great books".

Last edited:
Thanks for that! I meant Shannons information theory. And I just wanted to know the favourites of many people so that I can consolidate and get a book that most prefer. And I won't complain it on others, I am willing to take the best even from the least.

Rgds
Ramesh

1. What makes a book a "great" book?

There is no one definitive answer to this question as everyone's definition of a great book may vary. However, some common characteristics of great books include a compelling and well-developed plot, well-rounded and relatable characters, and thought-provoking themes that resonate with readers.

2. How do you determine what topics are considered "great"?

Again, this may differ from person to person. However, some factors that may contribute to a topic being considered great include its relevance and impact on society, its ability to inspire and educate readers, and its ability to spark meaningful discussions and debates.

3. Are there any specific genres or types of books that are considered "great"?

No, there is no specific genre or type of book that can be universally considered great. Great books can range from classic literature to contemporary fiction, from non-fiction to poetry, and everything in between. What ultimately determines a book's greatness is its ability to captivate and resonate with readers.

4. How can I find great books on specific topics?

There are several ways to find great books on specific topics. One option is to ask for recommendations from friends, family, or book clubs. Another option is to browse through bookstores or online retailers and read reviews from other readers. You can also consult with librarians or book experts for personalized recommendations.

5. What is the benefit of reading great books on great topics?

Reading great books on great topics can expand your knowledge and understanding of the world, challenge your perspectives, and inspire personal growth. It can also enhance critical thinking skills and improve empathy and communication. Overall, reading great books on great topics can have a positive impact on both personal and intellectual development.