Essay on why math is important in engineering.

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of mathematics in engineering and the need for reliable sources to support an essay on this topic. It also highlights the role of mathematics in quantifying and understanding the behavior of dynamic systems.
2slowtogofast
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this question. That being said feel free to move if in fact this is the wrong place.

I need to write an essay on mathematics in engineering and the importance of math in engineering. I need help finding website/articles/books/anything in realtion to this topic. I have a pretty good idea of why its important, but i need to have two different sources used in my paper. So if someone could point me in the direction of some good info, it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
2slowtogofast said:
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this question. That being said feel free to move if in fact this is the wrong place.

I need to write an essay on mathematics in engineering and the importance of math in engineering. I need help finding website/articles/books/anything in realtion to this topic. I have a pretty good idea of why its important, but i need to have two different sources used in my paper. So if someone could point me in the direction of some good info, it would be much appreciated.
Which bridge would you rather drive over, one for which the maximum load has been carefully calculated with a safety factor thrown in or one for which the maximum load has been arrived by reading tea leaves?

• Haha
Likes phinds
Engineering is applied science/physics, and in applied or pure physics, we like to quantify things, either properties or behavior, which change over time. We live in a dynamic world in which things move about, and we like to know how things move about and the consequences of things moving about. Answering these questions requires some level of mathematical treatment.

1. Why is math important in engineering?

Math is an essential tool in engineering because it allows engineers to solve complex problems, make accurate calculations, and design efficient systems. Many engineering concepts and principles are derived from mathematical equations and formulas.

2. How does math relate to engineering?

Math is the foundation of all engineering disciplines. It provides engineers with the necessary tools to analyze and design systems, structures, and processes. From calculus to statistics, various branches of math are used in different areas of engineering.

3. Can engineering be done without math?

No, engineering cannot be done without math. Math is an integral part of the engineering curriculum and is necessary for all engineering tasks, from designing and analyzing systems to developing solutions for real-world problems.

4. What are some examples of how math is used in engineering?

Math is used in engineering in various ways. Some examples include using calculus to determine the rate of change in a system, using geometry to design structures, using statistics to analyze data, and using linear algebra to solve equations in electrical circuits.

5. How can I improve my math skills for engineering?

To improve your math skills for engineering, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from professors or tutors when needed. You can also try to apply math concepts to real-world engineering problems and use online resources or textbooks to strengthen your understanding of mathematical principles.