Chances of Acceptance to Graduate School for Matt

• Thread starter mgorby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chances
In summary, Matt is freaking out about whether he's being realistic in his choices of graduate schools and is seeking advice. He has researched extensively and has contacted professors at several schools, all of which he has chosen because of the opportunities they offer in terms of working with professors he is interested in and living in an area he would like to live. Matt is confident in his qualifications and has set realistic goals for himself.
mgorby
Hello,

I'm freaking out about whether I'm being realistic in my choices of graduate schools.

Here are my qualifications:

CGPA: 3.82
Major GPA: 3.78

I started at Portland Community College, transferred to UMass Amherst, and then to Portland State University for my last two years.

My three letters of recommendation are all from professors I have worked with closely. I go running regularly with one of them, have house-sat and worked in the lab of another, and the third has had me in two upper level classes in which I did very well.

I have a year experience with a physics education research group, worked for a Summer in an atmospheric physics lab, and have done computational work (programming) for one of the theorists in our department.

I'm taking the GRE (Gen. and Subject) this November and can't imagine getting lower than a 650 on the subject. I know myself pretty well and from the practice exams I've been using can confidently say I'll end up in the 700-750 range.

My ultimate goal is to become a professor at a NON research college/university. I'm interested in teaching and will, I'm assuming, end up at a liberal arts college.

I'm definitely after a theoretical program. I'm not sure which area yet.

I won't be doing a senior thesis and have not been on any papers. I will graduate with my B.S. in Physics with a minor in Mathematics.

So, there is all that. Here are the schools I'm planning on applying to:

Columbia
NYU
McGill
U of Chicago
Boston University
College of William and Mary
UC Santa Cruz
UC Santa Barbara
U of Oregon (my safe school)

Am I being realistic? How would you access my chances?

Thank you all in advance!

-Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to narrow down some prospective supervisors at each school and find out if they are taking students.

Thank you for the advice, but my question is more about whether these schools are beyond my reach; I'm concerned about my eligibility.

I've researched these programs thoroughly and have contacted professors at all of them. I chose them because they all have multiple people I would like to work with and they're all located in areas I would like to live.

Thanks, though!

I know one of the graduating seniors from my school last year had roughly the same qualifications as you and he ended up going to BU.

High GPA, good letters of recommendation, research experience, solid career goals, and you also seem to be setting it up so you have a high multiplicity of possible successful outcomes. I wouldn't worry too much.

Thank you, everyone.

What is the average acceptance rate for graduate schools?

The average acceptance rate for graduate schools in the United States is around 20%. However, this can vary greatly depending on the specific program and university.

What factors contribute to a high chance of acceptance to graduate school?

Some factors that can contribute to a higher chance of acceptance to graduate school include a strong academic record, relevant work or research experience, strong letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement.

Is it necessary to have a high GPA to get accepted into graduate school?

While a high GPA can certainly improve your chances of acceptance to graduate school, it is not the only factor that is considered. Admissions committees also look at other aspects such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores.

How important are letters of recommendation in the graduate school application process?

Letters of recommendation are an important part of the graduate school application process as they provide insight into your academic abilities, work ethic, and potential for success in graduate school. It is important to choose recommenders who can speak to these qualities in a positive and detailed manner.

What can I do to improve my chances of acceptance to graduate school?

Aside from maintaining a strong academic record and securing relevant experience, some ways to improve your chances of acceptance to graduate school include networking with professors and professionals in your field, preparing a strong personal statement, and thoroughly researching and selecting the right programs for your goals and interests.