Find the Moments of Inertia question

In summary, I solved part a by taking the x coordinates times the masses and then dividing by all of the masses. I did the same thing for the y coordinates. For both the x and the y coordinates I got .058m. For parts b and c I tried using the above equation, but it didn't work. I assumed for part b that it would be zero because mass a is at the origin, but that was wrong. For part c I calculated I = (.230kg)(.07m)^2 + (.230kg)(.07m)^2. I got .07 m by using the pythagorean theorem since I knew the other two sides of the triangle to be .1m. But A
aligass2004

Homework Statement

The four masses shown in the figure below are connected by massless, rigid rods.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff4/alg5045/p13-17.gif
a.) Find the coordinates of the center of mass if Ma=100g and Mb=Mc=Md=230g.
b.) Find the moment of inertia about an axis that passes through mass A and is perpendicular to the page.
c.) Find the moment of inertia about a diagonal axis that passes through masses B and D.

Homework Equations

I = mA(rA^2) + mB(rB^2) + etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a by taking the x coordinates times the masses and then dividing by all of the masses. I did the same thing for the y coordinates. For both the x and the y coordinates I got .058m. For parts b and c I tried using the above equation, but it didn't work. I assumed for part b that it would be zero because mass a is at the origin, but that was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
aligass2004 said:
For parts b and c I tried using the above equation, but it didn't work. I assumed for part b that it would be zero because mass a is at the origin, but that was wrong.
Only the contribution due to mass a would be zero. Show exactly what you did for b and c.

For part b I just assumed it would be zero because it's at the origin, but that was wrong. For part c I calculated I = (.230kg)(.07m)^2 + (.230kg)(.07m)^2. I got .07 m by using the pythagorean theorem since I knew the other two sides of the triangle to be .1m.

aligass2004 said:
For part b I just assumed it would be zero because it's at the origin, but that was wrong.
But only mass A is at the origin. What about the others?
For part c I calculated I = (.230kg)(.07m)^2 + (.230kg)(.07m)^2. I got .07 m by using the pythagorean theorem since I knew the other two sides of the triangle to be .1m.
But A and C have different masses. Also: Be a bit more precise in your calculation of the side length.

I don't understand what the other masses have to do with anything for one question about mass A and the other question about masses B and D.

aligass2004 said:
I don't understand what the other masses have to do with anything for one question about mass A and the other question about masses B and D.
You are misunderstanding the question. In both questions they are asking for the moment of inertia of the entire assembly of all four masses. The only difference is where the axis is, which changes the moment of inertia.

Oh, I see. Let me try to figure it out.

For part b, would it I = (.100)(0) + (.230)(.05^2) + (.230)(.07071^2) + (.230)(.05^2)?

aligass2004 said:
For part b, would it I = (.100)(0) + (.230)(.05^2) + (.230)(.07071^2) + (.230)(.05^2)?
Double check the distances from the axis.

The axis is at A. So B and D would remain the same distances, and C would be 14.142cm.

aligass2004 said:
The axis is at A. So B and D would remain the same distances, and C would be 14.142cm.
That's better.

For part b, I got .0092 kgm^2. For part c I recognized that B and D would be zero, so I = (.1)(.07071^2) + (.230)(.07072^2) = 1.65 x 10-3. Both were right. Thanks so much!

1. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that measures its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a measure of how an object's mass is distributed around its axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object.

3. Why is the moment of inertia important?

The moment of inertia is important because it helps us understand how objects will behave when rotating. It also plays a crucial role in many engineering applications, such as designing structures and machines.

4. What factors affect the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is affected by the mass and distribution of mass of an object. Objects with a larger mass or a larger distance from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia.

5. How is the moment of inertia used in real life?

The moment of inertia is used in many real-life applications, such as designing vehicles, calculating the stability of structures, and understanding the behavior of moving objects. It is also important in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where athletes use their body's moment of inertia to perform certain movements and tricks.