Definition of electric polarization

In summary: Please give a summary of the content.In summary, the electric polarization P is simply the dipole moment per unit volume in a dielcetric. The magnetic moment M is the same as the total charge in the dipole.
Manchot
I recently realized that I have never really seen a rigorous definition of the electric polarization field in matter (and for that matter, magnetization). On the one hand, I know what its physical meaning is, but on the other, I don't believe that I'll really trust it until I come up with one. Depending on how I proceed, I run into certain issues. If I define it as a density of individual dipole moments, I do not have very much "calculatory" power, and I cannot even reproduce basic results like the fact that its divergence should be the opposite of the bound charge density and the time derivative should be the bound current density.

I also tried defining it as the (decaying) quantity whose divergence is the opposite of the bound charge density, and whose curl is zero. Though this gives me more calculatory power, and also reproduces the dipole density approach, it runs into such problems such as the fact that it requires the current density to be curl-free in order to correctly reproduce the bound current density. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I figured out what I think is a good way to make the definition. (It's always funny how I can agonize over something for weeks, but once I sit down to articulate my problem on PF, it often comes to me within hours.) In case anyone's wondering (or should come upon this thread sometime in the future), I'll tell you what I did. First, I defined the charge distribution of the "infinitesimal dipole" as follows:
[tex]\rho(\vec r,t) = -\vec p(t) \cdot \nabla \delta^3(\vec r)[/tex]

In the above definition, p is the dipole moment of the dipole. If you perform a calculation of the dipole moment of the above expression, you find that it is indeed p. While this is just a mathematical abstraction, it can be easily made to accommodate physical dipoles (e.g., a hydrogen atom) by approximating them as infinitesimal dipoles.

Next, I defined the polarization density due to one infinitesimal dipole as the following:
[tex]\vec P(\vec r,t)=\delta^3(\vec r) \vec p(t)[/tex]

Taking the divergence of the above expression almost immediately yields the relationship [itex]\nabla \cdot \vec P=-\rho[/itex]. By differentiating the above with respect to time, using the continuity equation, and performing some additional manipulation with delta functions, I found that [itex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial t}=J[/itex], where J is the current associated with the changing dipole. Since everything here is linear, they can be fairly easily extended to include multiple dipoles, and I'm fairly certain that something similar can be done for the magnetization density as well. If anyone has any thoughts on this, let me know.

The electric polarization P is simply the dipole moment per unit volume in a dielcetric.
M is the magnetic moment per unit volume.
What you are giving are proterties.

1. What is the definition of electric polarization?

Electric polarization refers to the separation of positive and negative charges within a material, resulting in a net dipole moment. It is a phenomenon that occurs when an electric field is applied to a material, causing the alignment of its atoms or molecules in a particular direction.

2. How does electric polarization differ from electric charge?

Electric polarization and electric charge are two distinct concepts. Electric charge refers to the presence of positive or negative charges on an object, while electric polarization refers to the separation of these charges within a material. In other words, electric polarization is a result of the alignment of electric charges within a material.

3. What is the importance of electric polarization?

Electric polarization is an important property of materials in various technological applications. It plays a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices such as capacitors, transistors, and sensors. It also influences the optical, mechanical, and thermal properties of materials.

4. How is electric polarization measured?

Electric polarization is typically measured using a device called an electric dipole moment meter. This instrument uses an electric field to measure the magnitude and direction of the dipole moment of a material. The dipole moment is a measure of the electric polarization of a material.

5. Can electric polarization be induced in all materials?

No, electric polarization can only occur in materials that have polar molecules or atoms. These materials have an asymmetric distribution of charges, allowing them to align and create a net dipole moment when an electric field is applied. Non-polar materials, such as metals, cannot be polarized in this way.