How do I get a formula that finds the initial velocity with height in it?

In summary, the initial velocity and height are directly proportional according to the formula V = √(2gh). This formula can only be used for objects in free fall and is not affected by the shape or mass of the object. To find the initial velocity at a specific height, plug in the values of g and h into the equation. However, there are limitations to the formula as it assumes certain conditions that may not always be true in reality.
ken62310
How do I get a formula that finds the initial velocity with height in it??

How do I get a formula that finds the initial velocity with height in it??
i was doing a inclined plane problem with is deal with 2 steel balls' collision~
could somebody help me to derivate that formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]a(x-x_0)=\frac{1}{2}(v^2-v_0^2)[/tex]

Solve for [tex]v_0[/tex]

ya and what is the angle of the inclined place..

I am not sure if you had supplied all given data, and of course, your attempt. :P

1. How does height affect the initial velocity in a formula?

The initial velocity and height are directly proportional. This means that as the height increases, the initial velocity also increases. This can be seen in the formula V = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the height. As h increases, the value inside the square root also increases, resulting in a larger initial velocity.

2. Can the formula be used for any object or only for objects in free fall?

The formula V = √(2gh) can only be used for objects in free fall, where the only force acting on the object is gravity. If there are other forces involved, such as air resistance, then the formula will not accurately calculate the initial velocity.

3. Is the formula affected by the shape or mass of the object?

The formula V = √(2gh) is independent of the shape or mass of the object. This means that the initial velocity will be the same for objects of different shapes and masses, as long as they are in free fall.

4. How do I use the formula to find the initial velocity at a specific height?

To use the formula V = √(2gh) to find the initial velocity at a specific height, simply plug in the values of g (acceleration due to gravity) and h (height) into the equation. Make sure to use consistent units for both values.

5. Are there any limitations to the formula for finding initial velocity with height?

Yes, there are some limitations to the formula V = √(2gh). It assumes that the initial velocity is zero and that there are no other forces acting on the object besides gravity. In reality, these assumptions may not always be true, resulting in a slightly inaccurate calculation of the initial velocity.