How do you construct an OVEN THERMOMETER?

In summary, the student is looking for any materials that can be purchased to create an oven thermometer. He or she was told that a bi-metallic strip in a spiral shape would do the job, but is also open to other ideas.
annagrace
I need to construct an oven thermometer out of scratch using any materials that are purchasable. Our restrictions are:
- No mercury
- The product must be able to read from 250 degrees fahrenheit to 500.
- MUST FIT IN THE OVEN PLZ.
thank you

Science news on Phys.org
Is this homework? AFAIK, most oven thermometers use a bimetallic strip wound in a spiral.

but we are wondering if you know how to construct it

Um... what I said doesn't give you enough information? Is this homework?

yep, this is a bonus project for our physics 11 class. any help would be greatly appreciated

annagrace said:
I need to construct an oven thermometer out of scratch using any materials that are purchasable.
Any materials at all? I would start by purchasing an oven thermometer. :wink:

Look at www.Omega.com for ideas (You could even buy some of their stuff if you wanted).

I don't even think you need a bimetalic strip. All you really need is a metal with a very high melting point, you need to know its coefficients of thermal expansion, and you need a micrometer.

Of course, this is only as a last resort if you cannot create a bimetalic strip.

How about a thermal couple and a voltmeter?

why don't you buy one and scratch the company's name off and put yours on

First: Construct an oven

Second: Construct a usefull measure for telling if the oven is "ovening"?

Otherwise:
- Buy one?
- Use a pyrex 1 cup pitcher near the door and calculate the rate of evaporation?
- Put a Christmas Card from one of your Ex's in the oven. When it ignites the oven has passed Fahrenheit 451?

Ideas abound...

1. How does an oven thermometer work?

An oven thermometer works by using a temperature sensor, typically a bi-metallic coil or a mercury-filled tube, to measure the temperature inside the oven. The sensor then transmits this information to a dial or digital display, giving an accurate reading of the oven's temperature.

2. What materials are used to construct an oven thermometer?

The materials used to construct an oven thermometer vary, but they typically include a metal or plastic frame, a temperature sensor, and a dial or digital display. Some thermometers may also have additional features such as a clip or magnet for attachment to the oven.

3. How do you calibrate an oven thermometer?

To calibrate an oven thermometer, you will need to compare it to a known accurate source, such as a digital thermometer or a laboratory-grade thermometer. Place both thermometers in the same location in the oven and adjust the oven's temperature until it matches the known accurate source. This will ensure that your oven thermometer is giving accurate readings.

4. Can oven thermometers be used in any type of oven?

Yes, oven thermometers can be used in any type of oven, including gas, electric, and convection ovens. They are designed to withstand high temperatures and can be placed on racks, hung from the oven rack, or placed on a flat surface inside the oven.

5. Do I need an oven thermometer if my oven has a built-in temperature display?

It is recommended to use an oven thermometer even if your oven has a built-in temperature display. This is because built-in displays can be inaccurate and may not give an accurate reading of the temperature throughout the oven. An oven thermometer will ensure that your food is cooked at the correct temperature and prevent under or overcooking.