Which psychology is this?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Psychology
In summary, the conversation centers around the topic of choosing a branch of psychology to major in and considering potential job opportunities and salary predictions. The individual is interested in studying emotions, levels of consciousness, and mental questions such as why we ask questions and fear death. They wonder if their interests align more with personality psychology or a blend of other branches. They also pose questions about the most advanced and well-funded branches of psychology. Suggestions are made to take introductory classes and declare a general psychology major before specifying a focus. There is also discussion about clinical psychology being well-paid and the individual finding experimental psychology/neurology particularly fascinating.
Skhandelwal
I have to choose a branch in psychology to major. But before that, I want to see what kinda job I am going to do, that way I can predict my salary.(weather it is uphill)

Here is the description:

I want to study about emotions, alpha, beta and beyond levels on conciousness. And how those levels influence the whole body and perception of reality. I want to be able to research on mental questions such as why do I ask question. Why are we afraid of death?

I know it sounds similar to Personality psychology but is it a blend of some other psychology too? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/personality_psychology

Which is the most advanced branch of psychology?(Theoretical I am guess...neuro/experimental psychology?)
Which is most funded?(clinical I am guessing as it is applied)

Biology news on Phys.org
Why don't you take a general class in introductory psychology and see if there is a particular area of the field that you find interesting.

Why not declare a general psych major and then figure out what you want to do and specify your major later?

and to answer i think clinical is the most well paid and as far as most advanced that depends on what you mean by advanced.

and also looking at your description it looks like experimental psych/neurology that you're talking about. i find that subject particularly fascinating.

1. What is the difference between cognitive and behavioral psychology?

Cognitive psychology focuses on how people think, perceive, and process information, while behavioral psychology focuses on how people's behavior is shaped by the environment and past experiences.

2. Is humanistic psychology still relevant today?

Yes, humanistic psychology is still relevant today as it focuses on individual growth and potential, and emphasizes the importance of self-awareness and personal responsibility.

3. What is the main goal of social psychology?

The main goal of social psychology is to understand how individuals are influenced by their social environment, including how people think, feel, and behave in different social situations.

4. How does evolutionary psychology explain human behavior?

Evolutionary psychology suggests that human behavior is shaped by natural selection and adaptation to the environment. It focuses on how behaviors that were beneficial for survival and reproduction have been passed down through generations.

5. What is the difference between psychoanalysis and behaviorism?

Psychoanalysis focuses on the unconscious mind and how past experiences and repressed emotions influence behavior. Behaviorism, on the other hand, emphasizes observable behavior and how it is shaped by the environment through conditioning.