Lagrange Multipliers for Volume

In summary, the problem involves finding the dimensions of shelters that will maximize volume while using 384 square feet of wood. The correct equation to use is xyz-lambda(384-2yz-xz-xy), with a constraint on area rather than volume. The Park Service does not build shelters along the Appalachian Trail, they are built by volunteers.
stardusto12

Homework Statement

The Park Service is building shelters for hikers along the Appalachian Trail. Each shelter has a back, a top, and two sides. Find the dimensions that will maximize the volume while using 384 square feet of wood.

They want me to find the length, width, and height.

Homework Equations

Here's my problem, I can't form a constraint for the problem because I don't know what they are looking for. The constraints I formed (two of them) did not work (they are below along with the formula I used).

F(x)=2zy+xz+xy
constraint used= Lambda(384-xyz)

and

f(x)=xyz
constraint used= lambda(384-2yz-xz-zy)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers I got are WAY off the correct answers. The correct answers are 16 (length) and 8 (for both width and height).

Can someone please tell me if I used the wrong equations, and if I did, how to form an equation from the given problem. I know how to calculate the answers, just not how to form the equation from a word problem. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The second form is correct. Extremize xyz-lamba(384-2yz-xz-xy) (note the typo in the what you have shown - xy turned into zy). The constraint is on area, not volume.

By the way, the Park Service does not build shelters along the Appalachian trail. They are built entirely by volunteers, members of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and its affiliates.

1. What is the concept behind Lagrange multipliers for volume?

The concept behind Lagrange multipliers for volume is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to a constraint. In other words, it is a method for optimizing a function while taking into account a constraint.

2. How is the Lagrange multiplier equation derived?

The Lagrange multiplier equation is derived by setting up a system of equations using the original function and the constraint, and then solving for the variables using the method of partial derivatives.

3. When is it appropriate to use Lagrange multipliers for volume?

Lagrange multipliers for volume are appropriate to use when the objective function and constraint are continuously differentiable, and when the constraint is in the form of an equality.

4. Can Lagrange multipliers for volume be used for non-linear functions?

Yes, Lagrange multipliers for volume can be used for both linear and non-linear functions. The method of partial derivatives can be used to solve for the optimal values in both cases.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange multipliers for volume?

One limitation of Lagrange multipliers for volume is that they can only be used for single constraint problems. Additionally, the constraint must be independent of the objective function, otherwise the solution may not be accurate.