Can Hitting Metal Make it Magnetic?

In summary, when you hit a magnetized object with a hammer or something, the vibrations loosen up the magnetic domains enough that they react to the Earth's field and turn around. The effect is very weak, though.
Th3Proj3ct
If you take a screwdriver for example, and hit it a few times near the tip with a hammer or something hard; why does the screwdriver become magnetic?
I was shown someone doing this, and shortly afterwards it was able to attract nails or screws around.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never seen this. Maybe the head of the hammer was magnetized. If anything, hitting a magnetized object generally weakens it magnetization.

Actually, we used to do it once in a while just for fun. The metal rod or whatever has to be aligned with magnetic north. It seems that the vibrations loosen up the magnetic domains enough that they react to the Earth's field and turn around. The effect is very weak, though.

Danger said:
Actually, we used to do it once in a while just for fun. The metal rod or whatever has to be aligned with magnetic north. It seems that the vibrations loosen up the magnetic domains enough that they react to the Earth's field and turn around. The effect is very weak, though.

Ahh, interesting. Thanks for that Danger! I would have never thought of that. Learn something new every dang day here on the PF!

Wow... I never thought that I'd get one over on you, especially in this area. :bugeye:

Danger said:
Wow... I never thought that I'd get one over on you, especially in this area. :bugeye:

:rofl: Pppffffttttt! They don't call you Danger for nothing! :biggrin:

Th3Proj3ct said:
If you take a screwdriver for example, and hit it a few times near the tip with a hammer or something hard; why does the screwdriver become magnetic?
I was shown someone doing this, and shortly afterwards it was able to attract nails or screws around.

Searches using "work hardening", "plastic deformation" and magnetization did yield a large number of articles, for example:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/20/19613/00908685.pdf?arnumber=908685

But I could locate a clear discussion of the subject.

1. How does hitting metal create magnetism?

Hitting metal causes the atoms within the metal to align in a certain direction, creating a temporary magnetic field.

2. Can any type of metal be magnetized by hitting?

Yes, any type of metal can be magnetized by hitting, but the strength and duration of the magnetism may vary depending on the metal's composition and properties.

3. How long does the magnetism last after hitting a metal object?

The magnetism created by hitting a metal object is temporary and typically only lasts for a short period of time, until the atoms within the metal return to their original, random alignment.

4. Can hitting metal make a permanent magnet?

No, hitting metal cannot create a permanent magnet. For a metal object to become a permanent magnet, it must go through a process called "magnetization" where it is exposed to a strong external magnetic field.

5. Is hitting metal a reliable way to create magnetism?

Hitting metal can create a temporary magnetic field, but it is not a reliable or consistent method for creating magnetism. It is more commonly used as a demonstration of the principles of magnetism rather than a practical method for creating magnets.