Preparing for college and teaching myself

In summary: If you're looking for something more challenging, look into some of the self-teaching texts, but be warned that they can be quite dense. In summary, this person didn't study maths or physics in high school because of personal problems, but is now trying to catch up. They recommend using college-level textbooks or instructional materials to learn the material before starting college. Fearless responds by saying that if this person wants to pursue physics or maths at college level, they should dedicate themselves to doing so from the beginning.
swashbucklord
I am new to these forums and I need some guidance. I am a senior in high school and I am interested in studying physics in college. I have always gotten high scores in the math sections of aptitude tests and I was fairly advanced until junior year. I had taken Pre-Calculus in tenth grade but problems at home caused me to leave school and it disturbed my progress. At this point, I haven't yet taken Calculus or Physics classes, but I was hoping some of you knew of reading material that I could use to teach myself some of it in advance.
I am not looking for books like The Elegant Universe (which I am currently reading and loving), but I am looking for self-teaching instructional books or texts that could really be applicable to my education.
Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand you correctly, you haven't studied any maths or physics at all in high school because of personal problems?

Fearless said:
If I understand you correctly, you haven't studied any maths or physics at all in high school because of personal problems?

Well, it is complicated. I had to repeat Pre-Calculus my junior year and got discouraged somewhere along the path. I ended up taking a lot of electives courses (I attended an art school for my last two years) instead of pursuing math and science. It was a regrettable mistake on my part, but I am trying to make up for lost time.

Then take those courses and then apply? It's a good gap year in my opinon. You don't stand a chance if you haven't studied them somewhat at a fast pace. In other words, don't even think about physics if you don't have the pre-courses to college physics/engineering.

The standard physics track is built upon a student yet to take physics and calculus.

These subjects might be harder without a high school background, but its not that big a drawback

ekrim: You are kidding me? In sweden you must comply with a minimum standard, it's the high school equivalent to parts of the first and second calculus courses plus a lot of physics and a little chemistry.

Calculus and basic physics are usually done from scratch in the first year, but it will be very fast paced, and most lecturers will assume that you've seen it before.

Fearless said:
ekrim: You are kidding me? In sweden you must comply with a minimum standard, it's the high school equivalent to parts of the first and second calculus courses plus a lot of physics and a little chemistry.

In america that is not the case. Physics I is taught from scratch, learning vectors and forces in the first few weeks. Calculus I is the same. Some people even take precalculus their first semester.

dx said:
Calculus and basic physics are usually done from scratch in the first year, but it will be very fast paced, and most lecturers will assume that you've seen it before.

I am confident in my ability to learn quickly as well as my dedication to study extra hours to fully understand. The fact that most lecturers will assume I've seen it before is precisely why I am asking for specific books or textbooks that I could use over the summer to educate myself.

To Fearless: I can't take those classes now, I just graduated. If I am going to be convinced (by a stranger over the internet none the less) that I should forget about my interests and pursue something else because I am somewhat behind at the age of 18 then I would have to be completely lacking in perseverance (which I am not). I have in the last two years, although in a different direction, worked myself unbelievably hard. To give up now would be an absolute injustice. Again, I am simply asking for quality educational material that I could use in these few months before college.

Dear, mr swashbucklord.

Ok, spare me your angst. Besides in europe we don't have your loose system where you can study anything in the first year and then all of a sudden go into physics, you must dedicate yourself to it at the very beginning.

Here are the books;

1. R A Adams, Calculus a complete course, used it under my first year.

2. For a basic university text on physics I propose this one, although I haven't used it myself, (You can at my university either go through the physics very detailed as a Chem Eng, or you can skip it and use this book);

Serway & Jewitt; Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics, 6th edition, (2004)

Ignoring Fearless rhetoric, I wouldn't worry to much.

If you want to get ahead, you might as well pre-study using the course textbooks that will be used for your next courses.

A common textbook for introduction physics that isn't very difficult is Halliday's Fundamental of Physics. Stewart's Calculus also isn't to shabby. Just read those, work through some problems and stay dedicated and you'll be fine! You're really not that far behind, so no worries!

You might want to pick up Schaum's outlines, they give you a decent overview of the topics, so they work well together with any textbook.

What is the importance of preparing for college?

Preparing for college is important because it helps you to set academic goals, develop good study habits, and gain skills that will be necessary for success in college and beyond. It also allows you to better understand yourself and your interests, and make informed decisions about your future.

How can I prepare for college on my own?

There are several ways to prepare for college on your own. You can start by researching colleges and their admission requirements, taking challenging courses in high school, developing time management and study skills, and seeking out extracurricular activities that align with your interests. Additionally, you can utilize online resources and practice tests to improve your academic skills and prepare for college entrance exams.

What are some tips for teaching myself?

To effectively teach yourself, it is important to have a clear understanding of your learning style and what methods work best for you. This may include creating a study schedule, utilizing visual aids or online resources, seeking out study groups or tutors, and setting goals for yourself. It is also important to stay organized and motivated, and to seek help if you are struggling with a particular subject.

How can I balance preparing for college and my current school work?

Balancing preparation for college and current school work can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. This may involve creating a schedule or to-do list, breaking down tasks into manageable chunks, and setting aside specific times for studying and preparing for college. It is also important to communicate with your teachers and seek help if you are feeling overwhelmed.

What resources are available for preparing for college and teaching myself?

There are many resources available for preparing for college and teaching yourself. Some examples include online study guides and practice tests, educational websites and apps, tutoring services, and college prep courses. Your school may also offer resources such as college fairs, career counseling, and guidance from teachers or mentors. Additionally, you can seek out books or podcasts on the college admissions process and self-directed learning.