Is It Worth Quitting a Job for a College Degree in Today's Economy?

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Economy
In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of quitting an established job to go to college and pursue a degree. The main reason for wanting a degree is to become a commercial pilot, but it is not the only factor in getting hired. The economy and job market are also taken into consideration. Some people are opting for part-time, night classes, and distance learning to obtain a degree, while others are considering going to a specialized flight school, which can be expensive. The speaker believes that training under Part 61 is just as effective and less expensive, but others argue that taking out a school loan is a viable option. However, there is no guarantee of getting a job after obtaining the necessary qualifications.
Holocene
Why quit an established job to go college? I know, I know, with a degree you make more money; it's worth it in the long run. Funny thing is, with aspirations of someday becoming a commercial pilot, the degree would only be used to achieve some level of competitiveness, and is not even close to being a primary factor to getting hired.

Don't get me wrong, I want to work toward a degree, but right now it's looking like part-time, night classes, distance-learning, etc...

The economy just sucks, and I don't think I can really afford to quit my job.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a few people I know that are going the route of night classes, distance learning, ect, just so that they can get the degree. It's going to get VERY competitive over the next 10+ years. My mother still works for the state of Tennessee, and just yesterday told me that they're tightening down on qualifications for jobs... even the most mediocre ones. As of right now, you cannot get a job with the state without some sort of degree.

If I were you, I would look at it as being able to secure yourself a job in the future in case something happens. One thing that I have noticed is that quite a few businesses look at overall experience rather than certs and degrees, but still. If enough time goes by and technology changes enough, they could also consider what you know obsolete. If you have no degree, they're going to have to rely more on trust. IMO.

B. Elliott said:
There's a few people I know that are going the route of night classes, distance learning, ect, just so that they can get the degree. It's going to get VERY competitive over the next 10+ years. My mother still works for the state of Tennessee, and just yesterday told me that they're tightening down on qualifications for jobs... even the most mediocre ones. As of right now, you cannot get a job with the state without some sort of degree.

If I were you, I would look at it as being able to secure yourself a job in the future in case something happens. One thing that I have noticed is that quite a few businesses look at overall experience rather than certs and degrees, but still. If enough time goes by and technology changes enough, they could also consider what you know obsolete. If you have no degree, they're going to have to rely more on trust. IMO.

Well said. It's going to get tough out there, no question about it.

Better start studying those ATP books! Its a LOT of information to know, inside and out.

Im reading my Gleims right now.

Cyrus said:
Better start studying those ATP books! Its a LOT of information to know, inside and out.

Im reading my Gleims right now.

I'm going through the instrument Gleim book as we speak. Hoping to get this rating over the summer. Obviously, it's a very long road to a job, considering I only have my private at this pont.

Holocene said:
I'm going through the instrument Gleim book as we speak. Hoping to get this rating over the summer. Obviously, it's a very long road to a job, considering I only have my private at this pont.

Why don't you go to one of those schools? It seems like it would save you a lot of money.

I think they cost around 30k total, which isn't all that bad.

Cyrus said:
Why don't you go to one of those schools? It seems like it would save you a lot of money.

I think they cost around 30k total, which isn't all that bad.

It's an option for some. To be honest, I personally don't see any downside to simply training under part 61. In the end, you've got the same ratings as anyone else.

As far as the cost, I was just browsing ATP's website. Their "airline career pilot program" is listed at $60,000. That is a huge financial commitment for the sake of obtaining a job you may not have in 6 months. Every aspect of the aviation industry is suffering from fuel prices that are out of sight.

Again, those schools are defintely an option for some, but it's looking like my style will simply be to pick my way through the ratings as time an money allow. I'm still in my mid-20's, so I'm not overly concerned about the time that may take.

Holocene said:
It's an option for some. To be honest, I personally don't see any downside to simply training under part 61. In the end, you've got the same ratings as anyone else.

As far as the cost, I was just browsing ATP's website. Their "airline career pilot program" is listed at $60,000. That is a huge financial commitment for the sake of obtaining a job you may not have in 6 months. Every aspect of the aviation industry is suffering from fuel prices that are out of sight.

Again, those schools are defintely an option for some, but it's looking like my style will simply be to pick my way through the ratings as time an money allow. I'm still in my mid-20's, so I'm not overly concerned about the time that may take.

Take out a school loan. Its no different than someone attending an instate univ. for for years.

In the end, you are going to spend more than 60k obtaining your ATP giong to a part 61 school.

As for a job, lots of airlines are hiring people, but the starting pay is low because its a regional jet.

Your rationalization makes no sense. You don't want to pay 60k because you might not get a job, yet your going to spend MORE money at your local school, and that STILL does not mean you'll get a job.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
Take out a school loan. Its no different than someone attending an instate univ. for for years.

In the end, you are going to spend more than 60k obtaining your ATP going to a part 61 school.

As for a job, lots of airlines are hiring people, but the starting pay is low because its a regional jet.

Your rationalization makes no sense. You don't want to pay 60k because you might not get a job, yet your going to spend MORE money at your local school, and that STILL does not mean you'll get a job.

Cyrus,

If you don't mind me asking, are you currently enrolled in a part 141 training program?

Your claim that "lots of airlines are hiring people" is flat-out wrong. Maybe 6 or 8 months ago, but things have changed very quickly as we went through the first half of 2008, and not for the better. Planes are being parked, pilots are being furloughed, and many more will be in the future. Just last week, the associate press released an article that United Airlines is parking over 100 planes. It's only going to get worse, at least before it gets better.

As far as you claiming I'm going to spend "more than $60K" obtaing ratings via part 61, that's not true either. You do know that to become an ATP, you need a minimum of 1,500 hours, right?

The point is, you don't go to a part-141 school to get your ATP, before having actually been employed as a pilot!

Last edited:
Not to stray too off topic, but with the airline industry in 'the pits' at the moment, I wonder what the future hold for jobs that involve aeronautical engineering? Thinking along the lines of revamping current aircraft with the intention of improving overall fuel efficiency, both propulsion and aerodynamic-wise.

Could there actually be job potentials during this (and later) airline hump?

Holocene said:
Cyrus,

If you don't mind me asking, are you currently enrolled in a part 141 training program?

I am not sure, what is the difference between a 141 and 61 school?

Your claim that "lots of airlines are hiring people" is flat-out wrong. Maybe 6 or 8 months ago, but things have changed very quickly as we went through the first half of 2008, and not for the better. Planes are being parked, pilots are being furloughed, and many more will be in the future. Just last week, the associate press released an article that United Airlines is parking over 100 planes. It's only going to get worse, at least before it gets better.

Im just going by what some of my instructors said when they got hired for a regional jet towards the very end of last year/start of this year.

As far as you claiming I'm going to spend "more than $60K" obtaing ratings via part 61, that's not true either. You do know that to become an ATP, you need a minimum of 1,500 hours, right?

The point is, you don't go to a part-141 school to get your ATP, before having actually been employed as a pilot!

Dont you need to have an ATP to be hired by the airlines though? Or can you do it with a CFI/commercial?

As far as I was aware, you go to one of those ATP schools, and they usually place you straight into a major airline.

Cyrus said:
I am not sure, what is the difference between a 141 and 61 school?

It's not particularly easy to explain, but a part 141 school is an all-out dedicated flight school, that has been certified as such by the FAA. These schools are typically very well equipped, with respect to both aircraft and staff. They are well-known. ATP (referring here to the school with that name, not the rating), is one example. Any type of collegiate aviation program will likely be part-141 as well. For example, Embry-Riddle aeronautical university.

Part 61 is not so much a type of school, as it is a set of regulations under which you may undertake flight training. I'm sure you know what an FBO is. Some of them have planes you can rent. If you rent one, and then hire an instructor to train you, that's obtaining a rating via part-61. There are also smaller outfits that advertise themselves as "flight schools", but still operate under part 61. Again, all they're doing is renting you the airplane, and providing an instructor.

Cyrus said:
Dont you need to have an ATP to be hired by the airlines though? Or can you do it with a CFI/commercial?

No ATP is required to be hired by a regional airline. They can hire you as a first-officer with nothing more than a commercial multi-engine rating, if they so choose. In fact, if you're applying for a FO position, you probably won't even be expected to have it.

Cyrus said:
As far as I was aware, you go to one of those ATP schools, and they usually place you straight into a major airline.

Definitely NOT a major. A regional airline, yes. Major? Not a chance.

Keep in mind a lot of these places may promise an interview with an airline, not a JOB.

Last edited:
Id like to get my CFI as a weekend job, but that requires a lot of money.

Last edited:
I object to the premise of the thread: The economy isn't spectacular right now, but it is not in shambles either. With that in mind:
The economy just sucks, and I don't think I can really afford to quit my job.
The shape the economy is in now doesn't really have anything to do with whether you can afford to quit your job. Either you have enough money saved up to live without a job Ior with a part time job) for a while or you don't.
Don't get me wrong, I want to work toward a degree, but right now it's looking like part-time, night classes, distance-learning, etc...
That's pretty rough - it is a lot of work and it takes a long time. But the answer to your first question:
Why quit an established job to go college?
...depends mostly on you. How established are you in that job? How long is the payback and are you willing to wait that long? How bad do you want to land your dream job?

B. Elliott said:
It's going to get VERY competitive over the next 10+ years. My mother still works for the state of Tennessee, and just yesterday told me that they're tightening down on qualifications for jobs... even the most mediocre ones.
You don't have it quite right, but your last sentence outlines the real problem: people are going after mediocre educations and mediocre jobs. Good jobs are actually easier to come by than mediocre ones because the pool of potential applicants is smaller. You don't get 25,000 applicants for jobs at walmart because the jobs are good, you get 25,000 applicants at walmart because the people don't have the skills/education to apply for better jobs.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=19286&seenIt=1

At the same time, growth in good jobs is, well, good!

1. What does it mean when the economy is in shambles?

When people say the economy is in shambles, it typically means that there is a significant downturn or collapse in the overall economic activity of a country or region. This can include high unemployment rates, low consumer spending, and a decrease in the production of goods and services.

2. What causes an economy to be in shambles?

There are many potential factors that can contribute to an economy being in shambles. Some common causes include natural disasters, political instability, economic policies, and global economic conditions. In some cases, a combination of these factors can lead to an economic downturn.

3. How does an economy recover from being in shambles?

Recovering from an economic downturn can be a complex and lengthy process. It often involves implementing new economic policies, addressing underlying issues, and rebuilding consumer and investor confidence. It may also require the support and cooperation of other countries and international organizations.

4. What impact does an economy in shambles have on individuals and businesses?

An economy in shambles can have a significant impact on both individuals and businesses. It can result in job losses, reduced wages, and overall financial instability for individuals. Businesses may struggle to stay afloat, leading to closures and layoffs. It can also lead to decreased consumer spending and investment, further exacerbating the economic downturn.

5. How can individuals protect themselves during an economic downturn?

While it can be challenging to protect oneself completely during an economic downturn, there are some steps individuals can take to minimize the impact. These include maintaining a diverse investment portfolio, having an emergency fund, and reducing unnecessary expenses. It is also essential to stay informed about the state of the economy and adjust financial plans accordingly.