Understanding Derivatives and Integrals: A Basic Guide for Beginners

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative and integral of a function and uses the definition of derivative to find the derivative of a given function. However, there are some errors in the calculations and it is suggested to refer to tutorials for clarification.
Mol_Bolom
I just want to see if I got this correct. From what all I've read it seems that I have most of it understood, but eh, I don't trust my judgement...

Lets say we have [tex]f(x) = {{3x^3 + 8x^2 + 7x + 12} \over {4x^2 - 12x - 15}}[/tex]

And the derivative...

[tex]
{d \over dx} f(x) = \lim _{h \rightarrow 0} {{f(x+h) - f(x)} \over h} =
{{
{d \over dx} (3x^3 + 8x^2 + 7x + 12)
}
\over
{
{d \over dx} (4x^2 - 12x - 15)
}} = f'(x)
[/tex]

Thus the integral would be...

[tex]
\int {f'(x)} \textbf{ }dx = f(x)
[/tex]

And if the constants are unknown, thus letting a and b represent the constants...

[tex]
\int {f'(x)} \text{ } dx = {{3x^3 + 8x^2 + 7x + a} \over {4x^2 - 12x + b}}
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Mol_Bolom said:
I just want to see if I got this correct. From what all I've read it seems that I have most of it understood, but eh, I don't trust my judgement...

Lets say we have [tex]f(x) = {{3x^3 + 8x^2 + 7x + 12} \over {4x^2 - 12x - 15}}[/tex]

And the derivative...

[tex]
{{
}
\over
{
}} = f'(x)
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

And if the constants are unknown, thus letting a and b represent the constants...

[tex]
[/tex]
I'm afraid that what you have written isn't correct. You might want to have a read of these tutorials for https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=139690".

Last edited by a moderator:
Mol_Bolom said:

And the derivative...

[tex]
{{
}
\over
{
}} = f'(x)
[/tex]
No. the derivative of f(x)/g(x) is (f'(x)g(x)- f(x)g'(x))/g2(x), not f'/g'.

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]
Nor can you integrate f/g by integrating numerator and denominator separately.

Hi Mol_Bolom
when you find the derivative by definition
(d/dx)(f(x)=lim(f(x+h)-f(x))/h you can find the limit of d/dh(f(x+h)-f(x))
h__ 0 ---------------
d/dh(h)
for example if F(x)=x^2 you have

d/dx(F(x))=lim ((x+h)^2-x^2)/h =
h___0
=lim [2(x+h)-0]/1 by diff. both num. and denum. w.r.t h and take the limit as h
h___0
approaches 0 you get
d/dx(F(x))=2x
Best wishes
Riad Zaidan

1. What are derivatives and integrals?

Derivatives and integrals are mathematical concepts that are used to measure the rate of change of a function. Derivatives are used to find the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point, while integrals are used to find the total accumulated value of a function over a given interval.

2. How are derivatives and integrals related?

Derivatives and integrals are inverse operations of each other. This means that the derivative of a function is the integral of its rate of change, and the integral of a function is the derivative of its accumulated value. In other words, they are two sides of the same coin and are used to solve different types of mathematical problems.

3. What are the applications of derivatives and integrals?

Derivatives and integrals have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to model and analyze the behavior of variables in different systems, calculate optimization problems, and solve differential equations, among others.

4. How do I find derivatives and integrals?

There are various techniques for finding derivatives and integrals, such as the power rule, product rule, chain rule, and integration by substitution. These techniques involve applying a set of rules and formulas to solve specific types of functions. Additionally, there are online tools and software that can help in finding derivatives and integrals.

5. What is the importance of understanding derivatives and integrals?

Understanding derivatives and integrals is crucial for developing a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications. It also helps in problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are essential in many fields of study and work. Moreover, derivatives and integrals are fundamental concepts in calculus, which is a building block for higher-level mathematics courses.