Eccentricity of orbit. Apogee and perigee positions and distances

In summary, the conversation discusses a satellite in an elliptical orbit around the Earth, with the Earth's center as a focus of the orbit. The perigee and apogee points and distances are defined, and the task is to show the eccentricity of the orbit in terms of the apogee and perigee distances. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to calculate the distance from a focus of an ellipse to the center, and possible relevant equations. The conversation ends with the suggestion to consult a teacher or reference material for further clarification.
shad0w0f3vil

Homework Statement

A satellite is in an elliptical orbit about the Earth. The center of the Earth is a focus of the elliptical orbit. The perigee (C) is the point in the orbit where the satellite is closest to the Earth's center (F). The perigee distance (P) is the distance from the perigee to the Earth's center. The apogee (D) is the point furtheest from the Earth's center. The apogee distance (A) is the distance from the apogee to the Earth's center.

Show that the eccentricity of the orbit in terms of A and P is e=(A-p)/(A+P).

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to begin, i know the distance from the center of the orbit to F is sqrt(a^2 - b^2), where a is the semi-major axis and b is the semi-minor axis.

Physics news on Phys.org

How is the distance from a focus of an ellipse to the centre calculated?

Kurdt said:
How is the distance from a focus of an ellipse to the centre calculated?

I mean the center of the elipse.

Let c equal the distance between the elipse center and a focus.
a = the semi major axis
b = semi minor

c=sqrt(A^2 - b^2)

Is that what you meant?

shad0w0f3vil said:
Not sure where to begin, i know the distance from the center of the orbit to F is sqrt(a^2 - b^2), where a is the semi-major axis and b is the semi-minor axis.
The center of the Earth is not at the center of the ellipse. It is at one of the two foci of the ellipse.

Sorry my bad, I did allready understand that, just struggled to put it into words

It's a bit hard to help you here because you left out a very important part of the original post:

Homework Equations

What equations are relevant to solving this problem?

If you look up an ellipse in a textbook or even on the internet you'll probably find what you need to do this question.

yeh i will just ask my teacher, i can get an answer that isn't wrong, just not sure if its the answer the teacher is looking for.

Thanks for all your help you guys!

1. What is the eccentricity of an orbit?

The eccentricity of an orbit is a measure of how elliptical or circular the orbit is. It is represented by a number between 0 and 1, with 0 being a perfect circle and 1 being a highly elongated ellipse.

2. How is the eccentricity of an orbit calculated?

The eccentricity of an orbit is calculated by dividing the distance between the foci of the ellipse (the two points that are closest and farthest from the center of the ellipse) by the length of the major axis (the longest diameter of the ellipse).

3. What are apogee and perigee positions in an orbit?

Apogee and perigee are two points in an orbit that represent the farthest and closest distances, respectively, between an object and the body it is orbiting. Apogee is the point farthest from the body, while perigee is the point closest to the body.

4. How are apogee and perigee distances determined?

Apogee and perigee distances are determined by measuring the distance between the object and the body at the farthest and closest points in the orbit. These distances can also be calculated using the semi-major axis and eccentricity of the orbit.

5. What factors can affect the eccentricity, apogee, and perigee of an orbit?

The eccentricity, apogee, and perigee of an orbit can be affected by various factors such as gravitational pull from other objects, atmospheric drag, and changes in the mass or velocity of the orbiting object.