Partial derivatives - textbook error?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the solution of a partial derivative, specifically the first derivative of a function involving constants and trigonometric functions. The conversation also touches on the Chain Rule and Product Rule in calculating the derivative. There is some confusion about the disappearance of a term in the solution, but it is eventually resolved with the help of others.
JFonseka
Now in my textbook it shows the following partial derivative solution:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex](3y[tex]^{4}[/tex] + e[tex]^{x}[/tex] sin y) = e[tex]^{x}[/tex] sin y

I thought since it's meant to be the partial derivative in terms of x that the y variable would be untouched.

What's happening?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the first derivative of f(x) = 3*(5^4) + e^x * sin(5)?

uman said:
What's the first derivative of f(x) = 3*(5^4) + e^x * sin(5)?

e^x ?

Try again.

uman said:
Try again.

Huh? What else can it be, the rest are all constants.

If a constant is multiplied to f(x), it doesn't become 1 after differentiating them both.

Hi JFonseka! :smile:
JFonseka said:
What's happening?

The Chain Rule is happening!

d/dx(exsiny) = (d/dx(ex)) siny + ex(d/dx(siny)) :smile:

tiny-tim said:

I get that bit lol, but I don't get why 3y^4 disappeared,

Nvm I get it now.

Thanks to all who helped

tiny-tim said:

I think you mean the product rule?

:redface: oops! :redface:

:wink:

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in calculus to measure how a function changes when only one of its variables is modified while keeping the others constant.

2. What is an error in a textbook related to partial derivatives?

An error in a textbook related to partial derivatives refers to a mistake or inaccuracy in the explanation or example of partial derivatives presented in the textbook.

3. How do textbook errors related to partial derivatives affect students?

Textbook errors related to partial derivatives can negatively affect students by causing confusion and leading to incorrect understanding and application of the concept.

4. How can textbook errors related to partial derivatives be identified?

Textbook errors related to partial derivatives can be identified by comparing the textbook explanation or example with other reliable sources, such as other textbooks or mathematical proofs.

5. What should be done if a textbook error related to partial derivatives is found?

If a textbook error related to partial derivatives is found, it should be reported to the author or publisher so that it can be corrected in future editions of the textbook. It is also important to inform other students or professors about the error to prevent others from being misled.