The chevy volt, pipe dream or a viable solution?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pipe Volt
In summary, the new Chevy Volt design was unveiled today and has sparked controversy in the engineering world. Despite its sharp appearance, GM still has a lot of work to do in finding a decent battery and creating a new series-hybrid drive train. Competition from Toyota's similar series-hybrid, set to be released in 2010, also poses a challenge as they are known for producing at a lower cost. With a price range of $30k-$40k, the Volt may struggle to compete. Additionally, the conversation brings up the possibility of a hydrogen economy in the future.
Topher925
The new chevy volt design was unveiled today: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080916/ap_on_bi_ge/gm_centennial;_ylt=AuVoT6aLIov8pyZGWNXsNjxsaMYA" [Broken]

There's a lot of controversy over this car in the engineering world. Since its being developed right in my neighborhood I hear a lot about its development. I think the car looks pretty sharp but GM has a lot of work ahead of them. They still need to find someone who can produce a half way descent battery let alone the monumental task of creating an entirely new series-hybrid drive train. I know first hand how difficult that can be.

They also have a lot of strict competition coming from Toyota who is set to build a similar series-hybrid to be released in 2010, and knowing Toyota they will probably do it at the cheapest price. With the price set at $30k-$40k would you buy one? I just can't see this being a very good band aid until we develop a hydrogen economy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Topher925 said:
I know first hand how difficult that can be.

How do you know first hand?

Check the profile.

For $40,000.. it will be an epic fail. Toyota will modify their Prius to make it a plug-in and sell it for 10K less. Then they'll buy GM after their liabilities fall off in a few years.

1. What is the Chevy Volt and how does it work?

The Chevy Volt is a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle that runs on both electricity and gasoline. It uses a rechargeable battery for shorter trips and a gasoline-powered generator for longer distances. The battery can be charged by plugging it into a standard outlet, and the car also has regenerative braking technology to help recharge the battery while driving.

2. Is the Chevy Volt a practical and efficient solution for reducing emissions?

Yes, the Chevy Volt is a practical and efficient solution for reducing emissions. It has an all-electric range of around 53 miles, meaning that for most people's daily commute, they can use only electricity and produce zero emissions. Additionally, the gas-powered generator significantly reduces the amount of gasoline needed for longer trips, resulting in lower emissions and better fuel efficiency overall.

3. How does the cost of owning a Chevy Volt compare to a traditional gasoline vehicle?

The upfront cost of a Chevy Volt may be higher than a traditional gasoline vehicle, but it can save money in the long run. The cost of electricity is typically lower than gasoline, and the car requires less maintenance due to its electric motor and regenerative braking. Additionally, there may be tax incentives available for purchasing an electric vehicle.

4. Are there any drawbacks to owning a Chevy Volt?

One potential drawback of owning a Chevy Volt is the limited availability of charging stations, which may make longer road trips more challenging. Additionally, the battery may degrade over time, resulting in a decrease in all-electric range. However, the car's gas-powered generator can still provide power and make it a viable option for longer trips.

5. What are some future developments for the Chevy Volt and other electric vehicles?

There are ongoing advancements in battery technology, which may result in longer all-electric ranges and faster charging times for electric vehicles like the Chevy Volt. Additionally, there is a growing infrastructure of charging stations being built to support the widespread use of electric vehicles. These developments make electric vehicles a more viable and attractive option for reducing emissions and promoting sustainability.

Back