How do I compare orders of forms with different constants?

• Thread starter Ad2d
  • Start date
In summary: The important thing is the relationship between them. For example, it is given that "ki < kj where i < j" so if i= 1 and j= 2, k1< k2.
Ad2d

Homework Statement

Compare each pairs according to their respective orders. Classify these forms by the relationships between the indicated constants.

Note: ki is a constant and all kis are mutually independent. (ki < kj where i < j),
ki ≥1.0.

1) n! Vs. K1^ n => Here its Cap K not little k.

2) log(n^n ) Vs. log(k1^k2 ) => little k

Homework Equations

http://www.augustana.ca/~hackw/csc210/exhibit/chap04/bigOhRules.html

The Attempt at a Solution

Here I am doing Oh Comparison, and I am not sure how to say which greater than, less than, equal to. Say for problem 2:

From the Log of a Power Rule (link above) the order would be O(log n) and O(log k1). Now n can be any number and k1 can be any number. So how would I know which is greater than, less than, or equal to? For all I know n=200 and k1 = 10, or maybe not?

For problem 1 same thing. K1 can be any number as well as n. If n= 2, than 2! = 2, and K1^2 .

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you are referring to the comparative orders as n goes to infinity.

Look at the fractions.

1) What is
[tex]\frac{K1^n}{n!}[/tex]
as n goes to infinity? Notice that numerator and denominator both have n terms but each factor in the numerator is K1 while factors in the denominator get larger and larger.

2) is easy! the denominator log(k1k2) is a constant! Any unbounded function of n will eventually be larger than any constant as n goes to infinity!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You HallsofIvy for the help. I spoke to the teacher about this and apparently big K and little k are the same thing (K1=k1, K2 = k2), so would this change anything?

Ad2d said:
Thank You HallsofIvy for the help. I spoke to the teacher about this and apparently big K and little k are the same thing (K1=k1, K2 = k2), so would this change anything?

Not at all. They are just arbitrary numbers.

1. What is "Oh order comparison"?

"Oh order comparison" is a method used in computer science and mathematics to compare two elements or objects and determine their relative order. It is commonly used to sort data in increasing or decreasing order.

2. How does "Oh order comparison" work?

"Oh order comparison" involves comparing the elements or objects based on their properties or attributes, such as size, value, or alphabetical order. The comparison is made using logical operators, such as greater than, less than, or equal to, to determine the relative order.

3. What is the purpose of "Oh order comparison"?

The main purpose of "Oh order comparison" is to sort data or objects in a specific order, which is useful in various applications, such as searching, indexing, and data analysis. It also helps in organizing and managing data in a structured manner.

4. How is "Oh order comparison" different from other comparison methods?

"Oh order comparison" is different from other comparison methods, such as numeric or lexicographic comparison, as it allows for a more flexible and customizable approach to sorting. It also takes into account the specific properties or attributes of the elements being compared, rather than just their numerical or alphabetical values.

5. Can "Oh order comparison" be used in any programming language?

Yes, "Oh order comparison" can be implemented in any programming language as long as it supports logical operators and comparison functions. However, the specific syntax and implementation may vary depending on the language and its features.