Why Reusing Rows & Cols To Find Determinants Is Not Allowed

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of elementary operations to find the determinant of a matrix and the question of whether or not it is allowed to reuse rows or columns. The speaker made a mistake in their calculations but was able to get the correct answer by working from upper left to lower right. The final conclusion is that it is possible to reuse rows and columns, but it is more orderly and less error-prone to work through each row and column in turn. The determinant of the given matrix is 72.
Brutus
Why am I not allowed to reuse rows to find the determinant via elementary operations?

Hi,

I am learning about matrices and determinants and there is something I can't figure out, straight to the point with an example:

Evaluating the determinant...
[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
1&2&3&4 \\
5&6&7&8 \\
2&6&4&8 \\
3&1&1&2
\end{bmatrix}=2
\begin{bmatrix}
1&2&3&4 \\
5&6&7&8 \\
1&3&2&4 \\
3&1&1&2
\end{bmatrix}=2
\begin{bmatrix}
1&2&3&4 \\
0&-4&-8&-12 \\
0&1&-1&0 \\
0&-5&-8&-10
\end{bmatrix}=8
\begin{bmatrix}
1&2&3&4 \\
0&-1&-2&-3 \\
0&1&-1&0 \\
0&-5&-8&-10
\end{bmatrix}=8
\begin{bmatrix}
1&2&3&4 \\
0&-1&-2&-3 \\
0&0&-\frac{1}{2}&-2 \\
0&0&-\frac{1}{2}&0
\end{bmatrix}=8
\begin{bmatrix}
1&2&3&4 \\
0&-1&-2&-3 \\
0&0&-\frac{1}{2}&-2 \\
0&0&0&2
\end{bmatrix}=8
[/tex]

Obviously, it's wrong, the right answer is 72(see [1]), I didn't work on the main diagonal on purpose, I wanted to see if I was allowed to reuse rows(or cols), so why am I not allowed? what am I really doing to the matrix each time I reuse a row(or col) ?

I am not asking for a proof or anything, just a simple explanation for human beings ;).

Also, working with both rows and columns is not allowed either, I guess this is a particular case of the above since I am reusing a cell.

Thank you.

[1] http://www.sosmath.com/matrix/determ1/determ1.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You can reuse rows. You can also mix row and column operations. But how did you get from the fourth matrix to the fifth? I'm baffled.

Nevermind, I made a stupid mistake, in step 4 I did: row 3 - row 1 * 1/2 and forgot to write the -1/2 in A<sub>3 1</sub> ...
I also forgot to include the 5/2 in A<sub>4 1</sub> when doing row 4 - row 1 * (-5/2)
damn...

I guess my mind was expecting a failure and it tricked itself into it...

Thank you.

Last edited:

You can, as Dick said, use a row more than once. But it is more orderly and less error-prone if you work from upper left to lower right working with each row and column in turn. I would have done this as follows:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1&2&3&4 \\5&6&7&8 \\2&6&4&8 \\3&1&1&2\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1&2&3&4\\0&-4&-8&-12\\0&2&-2&0\\0&-5&-8&-10\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
"clearing" the first column. Now, seeing the "-4" in the pivot for the second column/row,
[tex]=-4\begin{bmatrix}1&2&3&4\\0&1&2&3\\0&0&-6&-6\\0&0&2&5\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]=(-4)(-6)\begin{bmatrix}1&2&3&4\\0&1&2&3\\0&0&1&1\\0&0&0&3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]=(-4)(-6)(3)\begin{bmatrix}1&2&3&4\\0&1&2&3\\0&0&1&1\\0&0&0&1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and now, since we have "1"s along the main diagonal, the determinant is (-4)(-6)(3)= 72.

Great, thanks.

1. Why is reusing rows and columns not allowed when finding determinants?

Reusing rows and columns is not allowed because it would result in a loss of information and potentially change the value of the determinant. Each row and column represents a unique set of information and cannot be combined or reused without altering the determinant's value.

2. Can I use the same row or column more than once when finding a determinant?

No, each row and column must be used only once when finding a determinant. Reusing a row or column would not accurately represent the information contained in the matrix and could result in an incorrect determinant value.

3. Is there a specific method for finding determinants that does allow reusing rows and columns?

No, all methods for finding determinants require each row and column to be used only once. This is a fundamental rule in linear algebra and cannot be bypassed.

4. What happens if I accidentally reuse a row or column when finding a determinant?

If a row or column is reused when finding a determinant, the resulting value will be incorrect. It is important to carefully follow the rules and use each row and column only once to ensure an accurate determinant.

5. Can I still find the determinant if the matrix is not square?

No, the determinant can only be found for square matrices. If the matrix is not square, there is no unique solution and the determinant cannot be calculated.