Modular arithmetic (casting out 9's)

• Thread starter playa007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, we can prove that m-m' is a multiple of 9 by using the casting out 9's method and the properties of our base 10 numeration system.
playa007

Homework Statement

Let m be a positive integer and m' be an integer obtained from m by rearranging its digits. Prove that m-m' is a multiple of 9

Homework Equations

Casting out 9's method

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found that by applying the casting out 9's method on m and m'; the values are the same. This means that when one divides m by 9 and m' by 9; it is the same remainder. I'm wondering how do I use this to prove that 9 divides m-m'

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi playa007! :smile:
playa007 said:
So I found that by applying the casting out 9's method on m and m'; the values are the same. This means that when one divides m by 9 and m' by 9; it is the same remainder. I'm wondering how do I use this to prove that 9 divides m-m'

erm … m = 9a + r, m' = 9a' + r, so m - m' = … ? :smile:

Also (tiny-tim is exactly right), if a number is written, say m= "abcd"= 1000a+ 100b+ 10c+ d, then, rearranging, m'= "cadb"= 1000c+ 100a+ 10d+ b and m- m'= 1000a+ 100b+ 10c+ d- 1000c- 100a- 10d- b= (1000-100)a+ (100-1)b+ (10-1000)c+ (1- 10)d= 900a+ 99b- 990c- 9d= 9(100a+ 11b- 110c-d), a multiple of 9.

In our "base 10 numeration system", the coefficient of each digit is a power of 10, of course, so no matter how you rearrange the digits, subtracting, the coefficient of each digit is "a power of 10 minus another power of 10" which is always a multiple of 9.

What is modular arithmetic (casting out 9's)?

Modular arithmetic, also known as casting out 9's, is a mathematical operation that involves finding the remainder when dividing a number by 9. It is commonly used in number theory and has various applications in computer science and cryptography.

How is modular arithmetic (casting out 9's) used?

Modular arithmetic is used to simplify and manipulate large numbers, especially when performing operations like addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It is also used in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt messages, as well as in checksum algorithms to detect errors in data transmission.

What is the difference between modular arithmetic and regular arithmetic?

The main difference between modular arithmetic and regular arithmetic is that in modular arithmetic, all operations are performed within a finite set of numbers, whereas in regular arithmetic, there are no limitations on the numbers that can be used. Additionally, in modular arithmetic, the result of an operation is always a number between 0 and 8, as opposed to regular arithmetic where the result can be any number.

How do you perform modular arithmetic (casting out 9's)?

To perform modular arithmetic, you first divide the number by 9 and find the remainder. This remainder then becomes the result of the operation. For example, if you want to find the remainder when dividing 25 by 9, you would divide 25 by 9 and get a remainder of 7, so the answer would be 7.

What are some real-world applications of modular arithmetic (casting out 9's)?

Modular arithmetic has several real-world applications, such as in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt messages, in checksum algorithms to detect errors in data transmission, and in computer science to perform operations on large numbers. It is also used in various fields of mathematics, including number theory, abstract algebra, and group theory.