Calculus 2 Integral Question (difficult)

I hope this helps.In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of cos3x and the incorrect use of integration by parts. The correct approach involves using the trig identity cos3x = cos2x * cosx and substituting for cosx.
hamburgler

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex]cos3xdx

Homework Equations

cos3x = cos2x * cosx

The Attempt at a Solution

Let u= cos2x
du=(x/2) + (cos2x/4x)
v=-sinx
dv=cosuv-[tex]\int[/tex]vdu

-cos2xsinx - [tex]\int[/tex]-sinx(x/2 + cos2x/4x)dx

-cos2xsinx -[tex]\int[/tex]xsinx/2 + (sinxcos2x/4x)

-cos2xsinx - (1/2)xsinx +(sinxcos2x/4x)

-cos2xsinx -(sinx-xcosx/2) + (sinxcos2x/4x)

...aaaand that's about where I get lost/stuck. i can't figure out how to finish off the problem. i get to the last line on the far right and get confused. any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

Why don't you try and use the trig identity[tex] \cos^2x +\sin^2x = 1 [/tex] and then try substituting [tex] \sin x = u [/tex]

Hope that helps,

-Spoon

hm ill give it a shot

No worries, glad to have helped.

- Spoon

hamburgler said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex]cos3xdx

Homework Equations

cos3x = cos2x * cosx

The Attempt at a Solution

Let u= cos2x
du=(x/2) + (cos2x/4x)
Here's your first error. The derivative of cos2 x, using the chain rule, is (2 cos x)(cos x)'= - 2sin x cos x. I have absolutely no idea how you got your du!

v=-sinx
dv=cos

uv-[tex]\int[/tex]vdu

-cos2xsinx - [tex]\int[/tex]-sinx(x/2 + cos2x/4x)dx

-cos2xsinx -[tex]\int[/tex]xsinx/2 + (sinxcos2x/4x)

-cos2xsinx - (1/2)xsinx +(sinxcos2x/4x)

-cos2xsinx -(sinx-xcosx/2) + (sinxcos2x/4x)

aaaand that's about where I get lost/stuck. i can't figure out how to finish off the problem. i get to the last line on the far right and get confused. any help would be much appreciated.

You started wrong by trying to use integration by parts when it is not necessary. cos3 x dx= (cos2 x) (cos x dx)= (1- sin2 x) (cos x dx). Now use the obvious substitution.

1. What is Calculus 2 Integral?

Calculus 2 Integral is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the area under a curve. It is used to solve problems related to motion, volume, and other real-life applications.

2. What makes Calculus 2 Integral difficult?

Calculus 2 Integral can be difficult because it involves complex mathematical concepts such as integration techniques, improper integrals, and applications of integrals. It requires a strong understanding of Calculus 1 and algebraic manipulation.

3. How can I prepare for a difficult Calculus 2 Integral question?

To prepare for a difficult Calculus 2 Integral question, it is important to review and understand the basic concepts of integration. Practice solving various types of integrals using different techniques, and familiarize yourself with common integration formulas and their applications.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a Calculus 2 Integral question?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a Calculus 2 Integral question include forgetting to check for convergence/divergence, using incorrect integration techniques, and making algebraic mistakes. It is important to double-check your work and carefully follow the steps in solving the integral.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Calculus 2 Integral?

To improve your problem-solving skills in Calculus 2 Integral, practice solving a variety of integrals and challenge yourself with difficult problems. It is also helpful to work with a study group or seek help from a tutor to gain a better understanding of the concepts and techniques involved.