Solving an Underdetermined System: Does It Fill the Entire Space?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system of equations with two variables and determining if the solution is infinite and constrained to a plane or fills the entire space. The first step is to find out if the system is consistent, which is confirmed to have an infinite number of solutions. The solution can be written in a general form with a parameter, and upon recognizing the geometric significance, it is determined to be a line, the intersection of two planes.
Brutus

Homework Statement

Solve:
[tex]
\left\{ \begin{array}
{ccc} 5x - y - z & = & 4 \\
x - y + 2z & = & -5
\end{array} \right.
[/tex]

If the system has infinite solution, does it fill the entire space?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the system is underdetermined since the number of variables is less than the number of given equations, so my first step was to find out whether this system is consistent(has at least one solution).

[tex]
5x - y - 4 & = & \frac{-x}{2} + \frac{y}{2} - \frac{5}{2} \\
y & = & \frac{11x}{3} - 1
[/tex]

The system is consistent and has infinite solution.

Now, the real question, is the solution constrained to a plane or does it fill the entire space?
How do you find out? I've thought about it, and I am completely lost.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The first thing you should do is to actually solve for the expression giving you the general form of the solution to the equations. You can tell at a glance that it will have an infinite number of solutions, since it isn't inconsistent. Write it out using a parameter t. Then ask yourself if you recognise the geometric significance of the general solution. That answers your question.

Ok, I got it now.

It is a line, the intersection of two planes, haha, boy I feel stupid now...

Thanks.

What is an underdetermined system?

An underdetermined system is a system of equations that has fewer equations than unknown variables. This means that there are multiple solutions that can satisfy the equations.

How do you solve an underdetermined system?

In order to solve an underdetermined system, you need to use a method called "least squares." This involves finding the solution that minimizes the sum of the squared differences between the equations and the solution.

Does an underdetermined system fill the entire space?

No, an underdetermined system does not necessarily fill the entire space. It may have a unique solution, multiple solutions, or no solution at all.

What are the implications of solving an underdetermined system?

Solving an underdetermined system can have various implications depending on the context in which it is being used. It may help in finding a unique solution to a problem, or it may provide insight into the underlying structure of the system.

What are some real-world applications of solving underdetermined systems?

Solving underdetermined systems has applications in fields such as signal processing, machine learning, and statistical analysis. It can also be used in solving optimization problems and in finding solutions to equations in physics and engineering.