Finding Force of friction without having coefficient or normal?

In summary, a 326-N trunk is being slid up a 20.0° inclined plane with a constant velocity by exerting a force of 211 N parallel to the plane. The component of the trunk's weight parallel to the plane is 111.5 N. The sum of the applied force, friction, and parallel component of the trunk's weight is 0, as the net force on the object is 0 due to its constant velocity. The friction force is also 0 in size and direction, as the object is not accelerating. The coefficient of friction is not needed to solve this problem.
DDRchick
1. You slide a 326-N trunk up a 20.0° inclined plane with a constant velocity by exerting a force of 211 N parallel to the plane.

(a) What is the component of the trunk's weight parallel to the plane?

(b) What is the sum of your applied force, friction, and the parallel component of the trunk's weight?
2. Oh boy. Fp=sin(angle)-Fw
Fw=mg
Fn=cos(angle)x(Fw)
Ff=ux(Fn)
U=Ff/Fn

3. Alright, so I figured out part (a) by multiplying mass (326) and sin20 together, getting 111.5 N.
Now the second part is where I'm having trouble. I found Fn and Fp, as well as Fa.
Fn=cos20x(3194.8)
Fn=3002.1
Fp=sin20xFw(3194.8)
Fp=1092.7
Fa=211
u=Ff/3002.1

So how exactly do I find Ff and u?? :/

**(c) What is the size and direction of the friction force?
Size (magnitude)

Sorry to bother you guys again...I'm just at a loss of what to do x.x

Thanks in advance, and the u is the coefficient of friction.
:D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DDRchick said:
1. You slide a 326-N trunk up a 20.0° inclined plane with a constant velocity by exerting a force of 211 N parallel to the plane.

"With a constant velocity" is question-code for something...

(Think Newton's Laws.)

You need to look at the wording and units you're given in your question. When you're solving for part b), you have Fn = cos20*(3194.8). Where did you get 3194.8 from? It appears to me you multiplied 326 by gravity (9.81). However, you are told that the weight is 326 N . So it's already a unit of force (it has already taken gravity into consideration).

Therefore you only need to do cos(20)*(326) to find out the normal reaction force.

You then need to sum up all of the forces parallel to the plane, you are told the it is moving at a constant velocity. What does this tell you about the net force?

"With a constant velocity" is question-code for something...

(Think Newton's Laws.)

You need to look at the wording and units you're given in your question. When you're solving for part b), you have Fn = cos20*(3194.8). Where did you get 3194.8 from? It appears to me you multiplied 326 by gravity (9.81). However, you are told that the weight is 326 N . So it's already a unit of force (it has already taken gravity into consideration).

Therefore you only need to do cos(20)*(326) to find out the normal reaction force.

You then need to sum up all of the forces parallel to the plane, you are told the it is moving at a constant velocity. What does this tell you about the net force?

Oh okay so in since it's constant velocity...no acceleration?
And Fw is 326?
And therefore the net force is 211? I'm not sure if I'm right...

DDRchick said:
Oh okay so in since it's constant velocity...no acceleration?

Yep.

And therefore the net force is 211? I'm not sure if I'm right...

If the net force was 211N, then the object would accelerate. But you already worked out that the object is moving at a constant velocity, so isn't accelerating...

oh. so it's 0?
Ohjeeze. So that makes everything 0...because it's at a constant velocity.

Ohmygoodness I didn't realize how simple that was lol. Thanks so much guys :D

Last edited:
(c) What is the size and direction of the friction force?
Size (magnitude)

Sorry to bother you guys again...:/ so I know that Ff=uxFn
Fn= cos20x(326)
Fn=316.3
U=?/306.3

Ugh help me :(

Part b comes before part c for a reason. It's there to give you a clue about an easier way to do part c than what you're trying. Questions often work like this...

Well is Ff 0? If it is, it doesn't make any sense...:/

Did you draw a sketch of the thing on the slope, and all the forces acting on it?

Yeah. I got the answer finally lol thanks so much for your help! :)

1. What is the force of friction?

The force of friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface. It is caused by the interaction of the surface molecules of the two objects and can be affected by factors such as the roughness of the surfaces, the weight of the object, and the type of material.

2. How is the force of friction calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (μ) by the normal force (N), which is the force exerted by the surface on the object. The equation is F = μN.

3. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is dependent on the materials of the surfaces and can range from 0 (no friction) to 1 (high friction).

4. Why is it difficult to find the force of friction without the coefficient or normal?

The force of friction is directly dependent on the coefficient of friction and the normal force. Without knowing these values, it is difficult to accurately calculate the force of friction. Additionally, the coefficient of friction can vary for different materials and the normal force can be affected by factors such as the angle of the surface.

5. What are some methods for finding the force of friction without the coefficient or normal?

One method is to use a force sensor to measure the amount of force required to move an object horizontally across a surface. This can then be used to calculate the force of friction. Another method is to use a tilt table to measure the angle at which an object starts to slide on a surface, and then use this angle to calculate the coefficient of friction. However, these methods may not provide exact values and are only estimates.