What Is the Role of an Integrator in a Differential Amplifier's Feedback Path?

• Thread starter matheinste
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Feedback
In summary: I would be happy to post the diagram and help you out, but it would be much easier if you did it yourself. Thanks for your time!In summary, this circuit is a standard differential amplifier with an integrator in one of the feedback paths. The integrator is used to generate a ramp which modulates a sine wave applied to the input. The purpose of this circuit is unknown, but it is possible that it is used for frequency gain discrimination.
matheinste
Hello all

I have come across a circuit of a standard differential amplifier with an integrator in one of the feedback paths. I have no idea what its function is. I suppose some sort of frequency gain discrimination Any ideas?

Matheinste

Engineering news on Phys.org
matheinste said:
Hello all

I have come across a circuit of a standard differential amplifier with an integrator in one of the feedback paths. I have no idea what its function is. I suppose some sort of frequency gain discrimination Any ideas?

Matheinste

Seems like an integrator in the feedback path would result in a differentiation transfer function. Are there multiple feedback paths? Can you post a copy of the circuit and put its application into context?

EDIT -- Duh, I just noticed that you said there were multiple feedback paths. I need to read posts a bit slower, it appears. So my guess is that the overall transfer function needed a differentiator term on that variable that is being fed back through the integrator, and different transfer functions on the other feedback paths. Sounds like an interesting circuit -- can you post more details?

Last edited:
It might just be a crude filter.

Hello all.

Thanks for your replies.

It seems that in the application in which this circuit is used a ramp is generated by the integrator which modulates a sine wave applied to the input. This sine wave is of a very much lower frequency than the repetition rate of the ramp. After further analogue and software processing, the fequency and amplitude of the input sinewave is reovered. Why it is done this way i have still to find out.

Matheinste.

Hello all.

I have now found out that the operation described in my last post is a failure mode and not how the circuit should behave.

The integrator in the feedback loop is just a low pass filter.

What is he advantage of the filter being in the feedback loop.

Matheinste.

matheinste said:
Hello all.

I have now found out that the operation described in my last post is a failure mode and not how the circuit should behave.

The integrator in the feedback loop is just a low pass filter.

What is he advantage of the filter being in the feedback loop.

Matheinste.

This is starting to sound like a homework/coursework question. If it is, I can move it to the Homework Help forums here at the PF.

matheinste, whether this thread stays here in EE or gets moved to the Homework Help forums here on the PF, we require you to do the bulk of the work for your posts. You will need to post circuit diagrams and supply your impressions and explanations of the diagrams before we help you. We do not help you cheat here on the PF -- we are all about learning and figuring things out. Show us what you are asking about, and show us your work.

Hello berkeman

While i may be guilty of laziness, I am 60 years old and stopped doing homework 40 years ago.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Matheinste.

matheinste said:
Hello berkeman

While i may be guilty of laziness, I am 60 years old and stopped doing homework 40 years ago.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Matheinste.

I didn't say anything about laziness...didn't mean to imply that at all. I was just asking for more information and input from you. It's pretty hard to try to answer your questions without a full circuit diagram showing the parts that you are wondering about.

1. What is an integrator in feedback?

An integrator in feedback is a mathematical concept used in control theory and signal processing to describe a system that accumulates the integral of the input signal over time. In simpler terms, it is a component that integrates the input signal to produce the output signal.

2. How does an integrator work?

An integrator works by taking the input signal and integrating it over time, which means it sums up all the previous values of the input signal. This results in an output signal that is proportional to the integral of the input signal. In other words, the output signal is the area under the input signal curve.

3. What are the applications of an integrator in feedback?

An integrator in feedback is commonly used in control systems to perform tasks such as position control, velocity control, and trajectory control. It is also used in signal processing to remove noise and perform signal reconstruction.

4. What are the advantages of using an integrator in feedback?

One of the main advantages of using an integrator in feedback is its ability to eliminate steady-state errors in control systems. It also allows for precise control over the output signal by adjusting the integration time. Additionally, an integrator can be easily implemented using electronic circuits or software algorithms.

5. Are there any limitations of using an integrator in feedback?

Yes, there are some limitations to using an integrator in feedback. One limitation is that it can cause instability in a system if the input signal contains high-frequency components. Another limitation is that it can amplify noise in the input signal, which can affect the accuracy of the output signal. Therefore, it is important to carefully design and tune an integrator in a feedback system to avoid these limitations.