Building a Tank Circuit: Ground Connection Needed

In summary: There is no input or output. The input and output are the capacitor and inductor, respectively.The capacitor and inductor are the input and output, respectively.
Idea04
I'm building a tank circuit and I need to know if a ground connection is needed.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to give us more details.
There are many different types of tank circuits.

The tank circuit is a L/C parallel filter.

From what I was reading is that the tank circuit creates a high impedance towards frequencies outside the resonace frequency of the circuit. So wouldn't the circuit cause frequencies outside the resonant frequency to die out rapidly. So would there need to be a ground connection or would the high impedance in the circuit have no need for a ground connection.

Any response for the question.

Thank you for the information, but this circuit is only a capacitor and inductor in a parallel circuit, with an input and output. But I'm not sure if i need a ground connection for the circuit to operate properly. Am i right to think that the high impediance in the circuit toward frequencies outside the resonant frequency of the circuit will cause those frequencies to die out rapidly and not affect the output signal. or does the circuit need a ground terminal to direct unwanted frequencies out of the circuit.

You need to draw a schematic and post it. A parallel L/C circuit appears as a low impedance anywhere except at resonance. So, it depends on how the tank circuit is arranged relative to the rest of the circuits.

3 elements in a network allows you to tune it and impedance match it to the load.

I can't get the picture to post on the site. but I can tell you that there are no other circuits arranged with this circuit. All it is, is a capacitor and inductor in parallel to one another with an input and output. I don't know if that answers your question.

It is exactly what you said it is: A tank circuit. Until you hook it to something else, it behaves exactly how I described in my previous post. Where does this 'input' come from and where does the 'output' go to?

What is a tank circuit?

A tank circuit is a type of electronic circuit that consists of an inductor and a capacitor connected in parallel. It is also known as an LC circuit or a resonant circuit.

How does a tank circuit work?

A tank circuit works by storing energy in the form of an electric field in the capacitor and a magnetic field in the inductor. These fields oscillate back and forth, creating a resonant frequency at which the circuit can sustain a high amplitude of oscillation.

Why is a ground connection needed for a tank circuit?

A ground connection is needed for a tank circuit to provide a reference point for the circuit's voltage. This helps to stabilize the circuit and prevent unwanted interference from external sources.

What happens if a tank circuit is not grounded?

Without a ground connection, the tank circuit may not function properly as the voltage will not have a reference point. This can result in unstable oscillations and interference from external sources.

How do you connect a tank circuit to ground?

To connect a tank circuit to ground, you can use a wire or a ground pin on a circuit board. The ground connection should be made as close to the circuit as possible to minimize interference and ensure stable operation.