Knife edge thickness/surface area

In summary, you are trying to find the force required to slice an apple with a knife. You found the skin bursting strength to be 1.1 MPa. Assuming the thickness blade to be 10.0 micro-meters and the max length of contact with the blade and apple is about 10 cm, the force I get is 1.1 N.
droc22
I'm having a hard time finding some documentation on the thickness of a knife edge. I need to calculate the force to slice an apple. I found the skin bursting strength to be 1.1 MPa. That means that assuming the thickness blade to be 10.0 micro-meters and the max length of contact with the blade and apple is about 10 cm, the force I get is 1.1 N.

Does that sound about right. I would rather not assume, if someone knows of a source of knife edge specification.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know of a reference, but you may want to look at that strength number for skin. That may not take into account the shear forces that are present in a cutting motion. The failure of skin due to a knife would not be failure due to normal stresses. That would be like tearing the skin apart.

I'll look to see if I can find anything for surgical scalpels.

We had a thread about the sharpest knife in the world last year, but I can't remember what forum it was in. Obsidian blades can get down to a thickness of one molecule. I seem to recall that the best steel ones were somewhere around 50 times thicker.

are you just trying to find an approximate, becasue so far with your assumptions, you're working with a square apple and a straight blade and finding the force required to split the skin. With a round apple your point of contact intially will be very small and then enlarge as you slice through.

to cut a slice you'll probably have to take friction of the knife passing through the apple into account.

I am also having trouble finding any documentation on minimum edge thickness except my knife is CPM-S90V with a thickness of .150" and an included angle of 40 degrees. I just want to see how much strain I can put on a block of delrin with my blade without destroying it for 10 cycles or so.

1. What is knife edge thickness and why is it important?

Knife edge thickness refers to the thinness of the edge of a blade or knife. It is important because it directly affects the sharpness and cutting ability of the knife. A thinner edge will result in a sharper knife, while a thicker edge may provide more durability but may not cut as well.

2. How is knife edge thickness measured?

Knife edge thickness is typically measured in millimeters using a micrometer or caliper tool. The measurement is taken from the thinnest part of the blade's edge to the thickest part, near the spine of the blade.

3. What is the ideal knife edge thickness for different types of knives?

The ideal knife edge thickness can vary depending on the type of knife and its intended use. For example, a chef's knife may have a thinner edge for precise cutting, while a hunting knife may have a thicker edge for durability. It is important to consider the purpose of the knife when determining the ideal thickness.

4. How does knife edge thickness affect the surface area of the blade?

A thinner knife edge will have a smaller surface area, while a thicker knife edge will have a larger surface area. This is because a thinner edge takes up less space on the blade, allowing for more surface area to be exposed. A larger surface area can result in more friction and resistance when cutting, but may also provide more stability and strength.

5. How does sharpening affect knife edge thickness?

Sharpening a knife can thin out the edge, resulting in a thinner knife edge thickness. However, if the sharpening is not done properly, it can also create an uneven edge or even make the edge thicker. It is important to use proper sharpening techniques and tools to maintain the desired knife edge thickness.