Prove that the inverse of an integer matrix is also an integer matrix

In summary: I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I am studying on my own, not in college and not many other resources to turn to.If A is invertible, and det A = 1 or det A = -1, then the inverse of A is also invertible.
bigevil

Homework Statement

A is an invertible integer matrix. Prove that if det A = 1 or det A = -1, then the inverse of A is also an integer matrix.

Also prove the reverse, if A-inverse is an integer matrix then its determinant is 1 or -1.

Homework Equations

I'm not too sure how to start here. My first instinct is to work backwards from some properties of determinants that I know of.

det A-inv = det A
det [A(A-inv)] = det(A)det(A-inv) = det(A) det(A) = det I = 1, so det A = 1 or -1.

Same can be proven for A-inv, det (A-inv) det (A-inv) = det I = 1, so det A-inv = 1 or -1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not so sure how to approach this from here. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am studying on my own, not in college and not many other resources to turn to.

Physics news on Phys.org
One method of finding the inverse of a matrix is to set a-1ij[/b]= Aji/d where Aji is the determinant of the "minor" (matrix you get by removing jth row and ith column) and d is the determinant of A. If A is [itex]\pm 1[/itex], what does that tell you?

Halls, I'm not sure if I'm familiar with that equation. Do you mean the adjoint matrix of A, ie, A-1 = Adj (A) / det A? Also not very sure about your question, what do you mean by A is +1 or -1?, the determinant?

If det A = 1 or -1, then the adjoint = inverse.

I have thought of something, not sure if this is the track you're pushing me along:

If det A = 1 or -1, then

A det A = I = A A-1. Given A is an integer matrix, and already given that det A is an integer, then A-1 is also an integer matrix. Does that fit together right?

Yes, Hall's is talking about Adj(A). It's the transposed matrix of cofactors. If A is integer, then Adj(A) is definitely integer. For the second part, det(I)=det(A)*det(A^(-1)). If A and A^(-1) are integer matrices, then what about det(A) and det(A^(-1))? det(I)=1. Hence?

Ok, Dick:

If A and A-inverse are integer matrices then det A and det (A-inverse) are integers because of the Laplace expansion. det (I) = 1, so det (A A-inv) =1

det (A-inv) det (A-inv) = 1, and since both are equal, det (A-inv) must be 1 or -1.

Is this the right reasoning? Thanx Dick.

Indeed, the question itself provides the answer. When you say, integer, it means if you have f as a function of integers, then it can be easily manipulated into Drichilet functions and/or Dirac-Delta Functions. And, from here, you can use a lot of identities or transforms to achieve what is desired. Another method is to use induction. Another is to make a 2x2 matrix, where a ij element of I. Then find its inverse. And then prove every element of A inverse, is also an integer. Quite tedious, but has some charming results in the end.

bigevil said:
Ok, Dick:

If A and A-inverse are integer matrices then det A and det (A-inverse) are integers because of the Laplace expansion. det (I) = 1, so det (A A-inv) =1

det (A-inv) det (A-inv) = 1, and since both are equal, det (A-inv) must be 1 or -1.

Is this the right reasoning? Thanx Dick.

No. Something seems to be evading you. There is NO reason why det(A-inv)*det(A-inv)=1. What you have is det(A)*det(A-inv)=1. det(A) and det(A-inv) are both integers. How many ways are there to multiply two integers and get 1?

Oh... sorry Dick I got it mixed up, was doing a question on determinant of transposes before this.

det A = det (A-inv) = 1 or
det A = det A(-inv) = -1, hence. Thanks Dick...

Madhawk, I'm not much of a mathematician...

1. What is an inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. The identity matrix is a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else.

2. Why is proving the inverse of an integer matrix important?

Proving the inverse of an integer matrix is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations and perform other mathematical operations involving matrices. It also helps us understand the properties and behaviors of matrices.

3. How do you prove that the inverse of an integer matrix is also an integer matrix?

To prove that the inverse of an integer matrix is also an integer matrix, we use the definition of matrix inverse and the properties of integer matrices. We show that the inverse matrix has integer entries and that the product of the original matrix and its inverse results in the identity matrix.

4. Can any matrix have an integer inverse?

No, not all matrices have an integer inverse. A matrix must be square and have a non-zero determinant in order for it to have an inverse. Additionally, all of the entries in the matrix must be integers.

5. Are there any other types of matrices that have an inverse?

Yes, there are other types of matrices that have an inverse, such as rational matrices (matrices with rational number entries) and real matrices (matrices with real number entries). However, not all matrices have an inverse, and the properties of the inverse may differ depending on the type of matrix.