What is the equation for approximating propeller thrust at a known RPM?

In summary: Make sure the loading rate is a good problem so you don't get overdesigned and have to redo the thing later on.I designed an airplane and competed with it once.Attached is my teams report. You may find some interesting information in this document. Pg 24 talks about thrusts and stuff.enjoy...
thomasxc
Is there some equation i can use in order to approx. find the trust created by a prop at a known RPM??

-Tom

Engineering news on Phys.org
prop websites normally have this graphed, though as you may know, static thrust is different than dynamic thrust.

I designed an airplane and competed with it once.

Attached is my teams report. You may find some interesting information in this document.
Pg 24 talks about thrusts and stuff.

enjoy...

Attachments

• SAE_Aero_Design_Final Report_pg 1-37.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,793
  • SAE_Aero_Design_Final Report_pg 38-53.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 544
thomasxc said:
Is there some equation i can use in order to approx. find the trust created by a prop at a known RPM??

-Tom

You can look up the propeller efficiency. You need to know this number, along with the velocity and HP of the engine to calculate the net thrust.

Page 396 in Raymers book, "Aircraft design" by the AIAA explains this.

Nick Bruno said:
prop websites normally have this graphed, though as you may know, static thrust is different than dynamic thrust.

I designed an airplane and competed with it once.

Attached is my teams report. You may find some interesting information in this document.
Pg 24 talks about thrusts and stuff.

enjoy...

Actually, that's proprietary information they don't give on their websites. I've had to call up the engineers at McCauley to get this information.

I think you are talking about model airplane propellers, whereas I am talking about propellers for FAA certified aircraft 2000lbs+.

Nice CAD drawing. All in all, looks like a very fun senior design project (if that's what it is).

yes, i was talking about models :).

and yes it was a senior design project. was a lot of fun lol

Cyrus said:
You can look up the propeller efficiency. You need to know this number, along with the velocity and HP of the engine to calculate the net thrust.

Page 396 in Raymers book, "Aircraft design" by the AIAA explains this.

Agree, energy method is very useful at initial sizing and that suits you case.
But make sure you get the loading rate that's a good problem.

1. What is propeller thrust?

Propeller thrust is the force created by a rotating propeller that propels an object, such as an aircraft or ship, through a fluid medium, typically air or water.

2. How is propeller thrust created?

Propeller thrust is created by the rotation of the propeller blades, which creates a difference in air pressure between the front and back of the blades. This pressure difference creates a force that pushes the object forward.

3. What factors affect propeller thrust?

The factors that affect propeller thrust include the size and shape of the propeller, the angle of the blades, the speed of rotation, and the density and viscosity of the fluid medium.

4. How can propeller thrust be increased?

Propeller thrust can be increased by increasing the speed of rotation, increasing the angle of the blades, or increasing the size of the propeller. However, these changes can also impact other factors such as fuel consumption and maneuverability.

5. Can propeller thrust be reversed?

Yes, propeller thrust can be reversed by changing the angle of the blades or using reverse thrust mechanisms. This allows for braking and reverse movement of the object, such as an aircraft or ship.