Understanding Hydrides of Group 5 and 6 for Chemistry Exam

• Thread starter leena19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the acidity of the hydrides increases from top to bottom (from NH3 to AsH3) and that the reverse is seen if you go backwards from BiH3 to SbH3. The reason group 5 hydrides react this way is because the oxidation state of Bi in the BiH3 compound is -3.
leena19
Hello everyone,
this is a question I've asked at another chemistry forum,
and has been bothering me for awhile .
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=34742.0"

And ... the only only reason I'm posting it here aswell,is causeI have my chem exam on Thursday(the day after tomorrow) and...I'm the kinda idiot(also a blabbermouth) who can't skip a problem unless I'm absolutely sure I've understood it,so... I would really appreciate it if I could find a solution to this before my exams...

And oh...I know I ask a lot of stupid questions ,so if you think this is one of those,just tell me & i won't bother you guys.
(well,i might pester your'll with other questions,but no more pestering after my exams,for atleast a week,promise. :) )

thx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You say that the acidity of the hydrides increases from top to bottom (from NH3 to AsH3) and that the reverse is seen if you go backwards from BiH3 to SbH3! Wouldn't the reverse also be seen if you go from AsH3 to NH3?

Sounds like someone is asking you a trick question...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR REPLYING!

chemisttree said:
You say that the acidity of the hydrides increases from top to bottom (from NH3 to AsH3) and that the reverse is seen if you go backwards from BiH3 to SbH3! Wouldn't the reverse also be seen if you go from AsH3 to NH3?

Er...is that a trick question ?
Sorry if my problem isn't clear,but this is basically what my question is,

[tex]\stackrel{\leftarrow}{}[/tex]
Arranged in increasing order of acid strength
AsH3 > PH3 > NH3 > SbH3 > BiH3

The acidity increases from NH3 to AsH3,then the acidic strength decreases from SbH3 to BiH3 .
What makes the group5 hydrides react this way?

What is the oxidation state of Bi in the BiH3 compound? What about BiH2-?

Acidity reaction would be:

BiH3 <--------> BiH2- + H+

chemisttree said:
What is the oxidation state of Bi in the BiH3 compound?
All group 5 hydrides are trivalent,so the oxidation state of Bi would be -3

What about BiH2-?
The same. -3 ?

Not sure how to proceed from here.

Thanks for the very useful link.
Ok so the oxidation state of Bi in BiH3 is +3 and in BiH2-,it is +1 .
Then,since it's a metal it has to be more basic(i.e less acidic) than SbH3.
But SbH3 and AsH3 are metalloids...?

Can you tell me what I should do next?

thx.

Last edited:

1. What are hydrides of group 5 and 6?

Hydrides of group 5 and 6 are chemical compounds composed of a metal atom from group 5 or 6 on the periodic table and hydrogen atoms.

2. What are the properties of hydrides of group 5 and 6?

The properties of hydrides of group 5 and 6 vary depending on the specific compound, but they generally have high melting and boiling points, are insoluble in water, and are highly reactive with other substances.

3. How are hydrides of group 5 and 6 formed?

Hydrides of group 5 and 6 are typically formed through a reaction between the metal from group 5 or 6 and hydrogen gas. This reaction can often be catalyzed by other substances, such as acids or bases.

4. What are some uses of hydrides of group 5 and 6?

Some common uses of hydrides of group 5 and 6 include as reducing agents in chemical reactions, as catalysts in industrial processes, and as components in alloys for specialized applications.

5. Are there any health or safety concerns related to hydrides of group 5 and 6?

Some hydrides of group 5 and 6 can be toxic or corrosive, so proper handling and storage precautions should be taken. It is important to follow safety guidelines and consult material safety data sheets when working with these compounds.