Exploring the Math of Kalman Filters: A College Calculus Student's Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding the math involved in Kalman filters and the recommended background knowledge in linear algebra and calculus. The mention of different variable names and the importance of probability and statistics in understanding the concept is also mentioned. Finally, two resources, "An Introduction to the Kalman Filter" and "Introduction to Random Signals and Applied Kalman Filtering," are suggested for further explanation.
uglyoldbob
I have been doing some reading on Kalman filters trying to figure where to start. I have done some college level calculus, but clearly I don't currently know enough to understand the math involved. Where is a good place for me to start? I downloaded a copy of the linear algebra book by Jim Hefferon. I haven't read a whole lot of the book, but I feel pretty confident with the topics covered in it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Between linear algebra and Calculus that should be enough to understand the Kalman filter.

Every place explaining the kalman filter seems to use completely different variable names which makes it difficult for me to understand.
You have the measured state and the actual state. Then there is a state transition model, a control input model, process noise, and observation noise.
Measured state and actual state are easy. What do those others mean? Are there "standard" variable names for these?
Anybody know where I can find some good explanations for the kalman filter?

John Creighto said:
Between linear algebra and Calculus that should be enough to understand the Kalman filter.
I strongly disagree. Without a good understanding of probability and statistics the linear algebra and calculus will just look like a bunch of stuff pulled out of thin air.

uglyoldbob said:
Anybody know where I can find some good explanations for the kalman filter?
Here's a free one, "An Introduction to the Kalman Filter," by Welch and Bishop.
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~tracker/media/pdf/SIGGRAPH2001_CoursePack_08.pdf

The book "Introduction to Random Signals and Applied Kalman Filtering" by Brown and Hwang isn't free, but is very very good.
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471128392.html

Both delve extensively into probability and statistics before introducing the filtering concepts.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Kalman filter?

A Kalman filter is a mathematical algorithm used to estimate the state of a system based on a series of noisy measurements. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, economics, and robotics.

2. How does a Kalman filter work?

A Kalman filter works by combining a prediction model of the system with measurements of the system to produce an optimal estimate of the system's state. It uses a set of equations to update the estimate as new measurements are received.

3. What is the importance of Kalman filters in science and technology?

Kalman filters are important in science and technology because they provide a powerful tool for handling noisy data and making accurate predictions about the state of a system. They are used in a variety of applications such as navigation, control systems, and signal processing.

4. What background knowledge is required to understand the math behind Kalman filters?

A basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and probability is necessary to understand the math behind Kalman filters. Familiarity with differential equations and matrices is also helpful.

5. How can I apply Kalman filters in my own research or projects?

Kalman filters can be applied in a wide range of fields, so they can be used in many different research or project settings. Some common applications include tracking and prediction, sensor fusion, and data smoothing. There are also many resources available online to help you get started with implementing Kalman filters in your own work.