Possible webpage title: What is Mass Eccentricity and Its Role in Biomechanics?

In summary, "Mass Eccentricity" refers to an off-centered mass distribution which can lead to increased shear and bending stress during impact and result in injury. The paper being referenced discusses how this concept applies to injuries involving two components, such as a car crash or a person's leg receiving an impact while their weight is placed on it. However, some argue that this concept does not account for extreme forces and may not apply to all body parts.
fractalnode
Mass Eccentricity <-- What?!

Hi everyone!

Can someone define "Mass Eccentricity" for me? I looked it up in a few online dictionaries, and didn't get a definition I understood in relation to its use:

In other words, there are no injuries in static conditions without any mass eccentricities;

and

Therefore, the unique cause of all brain, spine and musculo-skeletal injuries has two components:
1. Coupled linear and angular jerks; and
2. Mass distribution with “eccentricities”.

I'm reading an interesting bio-mechanic-type paper, and got lost with this term. Hope I'm posting this is the right place. THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org

I guess it means off-centered mass distribution.

During impact, if the impact force is lopsided, some parts of the body will experience shear stress and bending stress that can more easily cause injury than compression stress.

If the impact force is evenly distributed (e.g. exerted by a fluid like inside the cranial cavity), the damage should be minimal. However, if the mass distribution is unbalanced the off-centered inertial force will still cause shear and bending stress and result in injury.

I may be wrong, but I doubt the paper's argument because all body parts, including the brain and body fluids, have density about that of water, so there won't be much mass eccentricity.

Wai Wong

Likes shivanshu udeniya

Cool, Thank You!

This makes sense. The paper is referring almost specifically to injuries involving two components. Like a car crash, or a person's leg receiving an impact while their weight is placed on it. I don't think the paper is accounting for extreme forces, but it is interesting nonetheless.

If anyone wants the link, http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.4596" it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Mass Eccentricity?

Mass Eccentricity is a measure of how much an object's mass is distributed away from its center of mass.

How is Mass Eccentricity calculated?

Mass Eccentricity is calculated by dividing the distance between the center of mass and the object's center of mass by the object's total mass.

What is the significance of Mass Eccentricity?

Mass Eccentricity is important in understanding the stability and dynamics of objects, such as planets and satellites, in orbit. It can also provide information about the internal structure of objects.

What are some real-world examples of Mass Eccentricity?

Mass Eccentricity can be seen in the orbits of planets around the sun, the Earth's orbit around its own axis, and the rotation of the moon around the Earth.

How does Mass Eccentricity affect an object's motion?

The higher the Mass Eccentricity, the more the object's mass is distributed away from its center of mass, which can cause irregularities in its motion and potentially lead to changes in its orbit or rotation.