(Bessel Beam) Wave vector question

In summary, the conversation is about defining the wave vector in a simulation of a bessel beam. The wave vector is composed of the transverse and longitudinal components, which can be solved for using the equation kT2 + kz2 = k2. The transverse component must have a non-zero value for a non-diffracting bessel beam. More information about the system is needed to solve for the wave vector components.
kire
Hello, first post on these forums... I read up on the rules and such but please excuse me if i missed something.

I am making a simulation of a bessel beam (non-diffracting and self healing) in MatLab but I do not know how to define the wave vector. More specifically, the transverse (kT) and the propagation constant (kz). If i can find one of them, I can solve for the other.

The "governing" equation I am using is:

U(r)=J0(kT*rho)*exp(-j*kz*z)

J0 is the zero order Bessel function of the first kind, rho is just sqrt(x^2+y^2), j is imaginary number, z is distance along the z-axis.

The relationship between the wave vectors is:

kT2+kz2=k2

Now, a fellow labmate initially had told me that for a gaussian beam, you usually set z=0 and solve for kz because at the z=0 plane, all the wave vectors point only in the z-direction and thus kT=0. However this will not work because if z=0 and kT=0 then the equation above yields a plane wave.

This is just a summary of my problem . If you need more information, I will be happy to provide it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your post and welcome to the forum! It seems like you are on the right track with your simulation of a bessel beam. The wave vector, also known as the propagation vector, is a crucial component in determining the behavior of a wave. In your equation, kT represents the transverse wave vector, which is perpendicular to the direction of propagation (z-axis). On the other hand, kz represents the longitudinal wave vector, which is parallel to the direction of propagation.

To define the wave vector, you can use the relationship you mentioned, kT2 + kz2 = k2, where k is the magnitude of the wave vector. This equation is derived from the Pythagorean theorem, where kT and kz represent the sides of a right triangle and k represents the hypotenuse.

In order to solve for the wave vector components, you will need to have some information about your system. For example, the wavelength of your bessel beam can help determine the magnitude of the wave vector. The angle of incidence and refractive indices of the materials involved can also provide valuable information in solving for the wave vector components.

It is important to note that in your equation, the value of kT can never be equal to 0, as this would result in a plane wave, as you mentioned. This is because a bessel beam is a non-diffracting wave, meaning it does not spread out as it propagates. Therefore, the transverse wave vector must have a non-zero value to maintain this behavior.

I hope this helps you in defining your wave vector and solving for the transverse and longitudinal components. If you need further assistance, please provide more information about your system and I will be happy to help. Good luck with your simulation!

Hello, welcome to the forums!

Defining the wave vector for a Bessel beam can be a bit tricky, as it involves both transverse and longitudinal components. In general, the wave vector can be written as k = (kT, kz), where kT is the transverse component and kz is the longitudinal component. In your equation, J0(kT*rho) represents the transverse component and exp(-j*kz*z) represents the longitudinal component.

In order to find the wave vector, you can use the relationship you mentioned: kT^2 + kz^2 = k^2. This relationship is true for all types of waves, not just Gaussian beams. However, for a Bessel beam, the transverse component is given by kT = m/ρ, where m is the order of the Bessel function and ρ is the radial distance from the beam axis. So, in your equation, you can set kT = m/ρ and solve for kz. This will give you the longitudinal component of the wave vector.

I hope this helps with your simulation. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is a Bessel beam?

A Bessel beam is a type of laser beam that has a unique intensity profile, with a central bright spot surrounded by concentric bright rings. This beam is produced by passing a laser beam through a special type of optical element called a Bessel filter.

2. What is the difference between a Bessel beam and a Gaussian beam?

The main difference between a Bessel beam and a Gaussian beam is their intensity profile. While a Gaussian beam has a bell-shaped intensity distribution, a Bessel beam has a central bright spot surrounded by concentric bright rings. Bessel beams also have an infinite depth of field, making them useful for applications requiring long focusing distances.

3. How is the wave vector related to Bessel beams?

The wave vector, also known as the propagation vector, is a fundamental concept in optics that describes the direction and magnitude of the wave's propagation. In the case of Bessel beams, the direction of the wave vector determines the direction of the concentric rings in the intensity profile of the beam.

4. Can Bessel beams be used in practical applications?

Yes, Bessel beams have many practical applications in fields such as microscopy, optical trapping, and laser material processing. The unique properties of Bessel beams, such as their long depth of field and non-diffracting nature, make them useful for a wide range of applications.

5. How are Bessel beams generated?

Bessel beams can be generated using different methods, such as passing a laser beam through a Bessel filter, using a phase mask, or using computer-generated holograms. These methods manipulate the phase of the laser beam to create the desired intensity profile of the Bessel beam.