Why Doesn't Calculating Chord Slope Work for Electron Deflection Angles?

In summary, the initial approach of finding the horizontal and vertical distances to determine the deflection angle for an electron passing through a parallel plate capacitor is incorrect. The correct method involves using the final vertical and horizontal velocities and the angle created by them. This is because the question asks for the slope of the tangent on exit, which is different from the slope of the chord from entry to exit.
maccha
When asked to find the deflection angle for an electron passing through a parallel plate capacitor, for some reason my initial approach was to find the horizontal distance traveled and the vertical distance and then find the angle created by them. I got the wrong answer doing this and looked at the solution which explained that you have to use the final vertical/horizontal velocities and the angle created by them. This makes sense to me, but I still don't understand why my method wouldn't work? Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi maccha! :smile:

It's because you're finding the slope of the chord from entry to exit (which will be roughly parallel to the tangent at half-way), but the question asks for the slope of the tangent on exit, which is about twice as much. :wink:

What is the deflection angle?

The deflection angle is the angle between the original direction of a particle or beam and its new direction after being deflected by a force or field.

How is the deflection angle calculated?

The deflection angle can be calculated using trigonometric principles, such as the law of sines or the law of cosines, depending on the specific scenario and available information.

What factors affect the deflection angle?

The deflection angle can be affected by various factors including the strength and direction of the deflecting force or field, the initial velocity and mass of the particle or beam, and the distance traveled.

What is the importance of the deflection angle in physics?

The deflection angle is important in understanding the behavior of particles and beams in different fields and forces, and is often used in experiments and calculations in areas such as electromagnetism, optics, and mechanics.

Can the deflection angle be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the deflection angle can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the strength and direction of the deflecting force or field, as well as the initial conditions of the particle or beam.