Tears Stinging My Eyes - What Could Be Wrong?

• Thread starter Entropia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of having painful tears. The participants suggest that it could be a symptom of dry eye and recommend getting it checked out. One person shares their own experience with sensitive eyes and suggests using anti-immune eye drops. The possible cause is an immune response.
Entropia
ugh. what an unintentionally poetically lame subject line, but its true.

my own tears sting my eye balls, and this has been the case for the past few years now.

is this normal?

what could be wrong?

Biology news on Phys.org
might be dry eye, better get it checked out.

Yep. I have never had this sort of a problem. So count me as one piece of evidence that your experience is not normal.

the tears hurt when i cry.

the tears done hurt under any other circumstance.

I would agree it is possibly dry eye. My tears hurt all the time...an unusual amount of salene [sic?] was in them. However, I'm at a loss for why yours would only hurt when you are crying in thr sad sense.

I have very sensitive eyes - I attribute it to them being dry, though it acutally oftem means they tear up in a slight breeze. I can't remember the last time I really cried, but when sweat gets in my eyes it burns a lot.

Immune response

most likely. Try some anti immune eye drops and see what happens.

1. What causes tears to sting my eyes?

There are several potential causes for tears to sting your eyes, including allergies, dry eye syndrome, eye infections, and exposure to irritants such as smoke or chemicals.

2. How can I relieve the stinging sensation in my eyes?

The best way to relieve the stinging sensation is to address the underlying cause. If you have allergies, taking antihistamines or avoiding allergens can help. For dry eye syndrome, using artificial tears or prescription eye drops can provide relief. If the stinging is due to an infection, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics. In all cases, it is important to avoid rubbing your eyes, as this can make the stinging worse.

3. When should I seek medical attention for stinging eyes?

If the stinging in your eyes persists or is accompanied by other symptoms such as redness, swelling, or vision changes, it is important to seek medical attention. This could be a sign of a more serious underlying condition that requires treatment.

4. Can stress or emotions cause tears to sting my eyes?

Yes, stress and strong emotions can cause your eyes to produce more tears, which can lead to a stinging sensation. This is because tears produced under stress or intense emotions have a different composition than regular tears, which can cause irritation.

5. Is it normal for tears to sting my eyes after crying?

Yes, it is normal for tears to sting your eyes after crying. This is because the salt content in your tears increases when you cry, which can cause irritation and stinging. The stinging sensation should subside once you stop crying and your tears return to their normal composition.