Difference between nucleus and nuclide

In summary, the difference between nucleus and nuclide is that the nucleus refers to the central part of an atom where the nucleons are located, while a nuclide refers to a specific species of atom characterized by its nuclear composition. The term "nuclide" is primarily used in relation to nuclear properties, while "nucleus" is used in both nuclear and chemical contexts. The number of neutrons and protons in a nucleus can vary, resulting in different nuclides of the same element.
karen0215
1. Homework Statement

What is the different between nucleus and nuclide?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, i think that they mean the same things but now i know it isn't
so i am seeking for answer

Physics news on Phys.org
The nucleus is the central part of an atom comprising protons and neutrons tightly bound together by strong nuclear forces.
Meanwhile, a nuclide is a species of atom characterised by the composition of its nucleus. For example, we can refer to carbon-12 as a nuclide.

I still don't know when to use nucleus or nuclide..
Can the word "nucleus" replace "nuclide"?

karen0215 said:
I still don't know when to use nucleus or nuclide..
Can the word "nucleus" replace "nuclide"?
Are not the terms defined in one's textbook?

The nucleus is the central part of the atom in which the nucleons (protons and neutrons) reside. The nucleus and the surrounding atomic electrons for an atom. As was previously mentioned, nuclide refers to a species of atom, primarily with respect to it's nuclear properties rather than its chemical properties.

Definition of "nucleus" is given but no definition for "nuclides" in the textbook.

One of the sentences from the book :"The heavy stable nuclides have more neutrons than protons"

Before I know there exists the term "nuclides", I would write:
"The heavy stable nucleus have more neutrons than protons"

I think nuclide is the synonym for isotope atom. The atoms of hydrogen, deuterium and tritium form three different nuclides of the element "hydrogen" as all of them have one proton in the nucleus, but different number (0, 1, 2) neutrons.

ehild

What is the difference between nucleus and nuclide?

The nucleus is the central part of an atom that contains protons and neutrons. It is responsible for the majority of the mass of an atom and controls its stability. A nuclide, on the other hand, is a specific type of atom that is characterized by the number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus.

How are nucleus and nuclide related?

The nucleus is a component of a nuclide. It is the core of an atom and is made up of protons and neutrons. Nuclides, on the other hand, are specific types of atoms that are determined by the number of protons and neutrons in their nuclei.

What are the main characteristics of a nucleus?

The main characteristics of a nucleus include its size, composition, and stability. The size of a nucleus is extremely small compared to the overall size of an atom. Its composition is made up of protons and neutrons, which carry positive and neutral charges respectively. The stability of a nucleus is determined by the balance of protons and neutrons, with some combinations being more stable than others.

How do the properties of a nucleus and nuclide affect the behavior of an atom?

The properties of a nucleus and nuclide affect the behavior of an atom in several ways. The number of protons in a nucleus determines the element and its chemical properties. The number of neutrons affects the stability of the atom, which can lead to radioactive decay. The combination of protons and neutrons in a nuclide determines its mass number and can also affect its stability and reactivity.

What is the significance of understanding the difference between nucleus and nuclide in scientific research?

Understanding the difference between nucleus and nuclide is crucial in scientific research as it allows for a better understanding of the behavior and properties of atoms. This knowledge is essential in fields such as nuclear physics, chemistry, and medicine, where the study and manipulation of atoms are important. It also helps scientists in developing new technologies and applications that utilize the unique properties of atoms and their nuclei.