The state of magnetism and its possible correlation to gravity

In summary, it is commonly believed that a mass release of particles occurred at the beginning of our universe as we know it, creating multiple universes. The force of gravity is caused by the interaction of objects with varying densities and sizes, and is not directly related to electromagnetism. There is ongoing research and testing to further understand gravity and its connection with electromagnetism.
slowfiveoh
First off, thanks for taking the time to read this. I am not a Physics Major, I am not a scientist. I do try to think a great deal about our existence, and what our future holds as far as discovery, so therefore, I have something to present.

It is hypothetical, but please play along with it, and give me some of your educated, and professional insight.

It is commonly believed that a mass release of particles occurred at the beginning of our universe as we know it. A massive explosion of unparalleled scale sent all forms of matter and energy and their subsequent particle states, all over our dimension.

During this expulsion of matter, slung away from the central point of explosion in a presumably spherical fashion, matter collides as particle density and object size takes effect on the traveling matter, changing the flight path of objects as they bow to objects of higher density or gravitational force. This causes matter to collide, and create even more particle-dense material, until objects are made that comprise a universe. In fact, they comprise many universes, all of which have an effect on one another as they travel their celestial paths. This force we have dubbed "gravity".

Now, here is where I need some good insight. Please give me some leeway on this, k? Great!

Particle density, or the sheer number of particles in any given space, ultimately determine the sheer number of atoms present in any given piece of matter yes? If this is correct, who is to say there is not an electromagnetic field that is comprised of a wavelength way too low for us to reasonably interact with, of which the only observation we can make, is the rotation of a very small, very light compass needle?

Consider that all objects on the Earth interact with this field on a varying scale, directly proportionate to the density, or size of an object (Fat boy can't dunk, yes?). All of which would contribute to their/it's "gravitational" pull.

Consider the core of the Earth could likely contain solid, extremely dense material, the likes of which we have yet to discover, and that its electromagnetic properties (and poles) are the only thing, as of yet, that we have been able to observe.

Also consider the effects of an extremely low amplitude field interacting with neighboring celestial bodies, and how the distance between planets is a product of their momentum, and distance, in proportion to their size/density. This is very similar to the interaction of magnets.

So, to truncate my thoughts:

--Could gravity be magnetism, outside of our measurable capability, interacting with other objects of varying density throughout the universe?

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
slowfiveoh said:
First off, thanks for taking the time to read this. I am not a Physics Major, I am not a scientist. I do try to think a great deal about our existence, and what our future holds as far as discovery, so therefore, I have something to present.

It is hypothetical, but please play along with it, and give me some of your educated, and professional insight.

--Could gravity be magnetism, outside of our measurable capability, interacting with other objects of varying density throughout the universe?

Welcome to PhysicsForums, slowfiveoh!

The short answer is NO on all counts. I won't bother going into the whys, you will definitely want to learn more about gravity and electromagnetism on your own before you speculate about how they interact. There is currently no known connection between gravity and the electromagnetic force other than you can bend light in a gravitational field.

A few important facts:

a) electromagnetism is primarily responsible for chemical interactions, and is described with great precision by quantum theory;
b) gravity is being probed in very precise tests to further check the bounds of general relativity (the generally accepted theory of gravity);
c) new high energy tests being performed at CERN hope to determine if there is a deeper connection between gravity and electromagnetism.

1. What is magnetism and how is it related to gravity?

Magnetism is a fundamental force of nature that arises from the movement of charged particles. It is closely related to gravity as both are forces that act at a distance and can influence the behavior of matter.

2. Is there a correlation between the strength of magnetism and gravity?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to suggest a correlation between the strength of magnetism and gravity. However, some theories propose that there may be a connection between the two forces at the quantum level.

3. Can magnetism affect the gravitational pull of an object?

While magnetism and gravity are both forces that act on matter, they operate on different principles and cannot directly affect each other. However, some studies have shown that strong magnetic fields can have an indirect impact on the behavior of objects in a gravitational field.

4. Are there any known cases where magnetism and gravity have been observed to interact?

At the macroscopic level, there are no known cases where magnetism and gravity have been observed to interact. However, at the subatomic level, there are some theories that suggest a possible interaction between the two forces.

5. How does the study of magnetism and gravity contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying magnetism and its possible correlation to gravity can help us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces that shape our universe. It can also offer insights into the behavior of matter and the origins of the universe.