Power dissipated in circuit when voltage/current out of phase

In summary: In AC, however, the phase angle between them can vary. In summary, to find the maximum power dissipated in this RLC circuit, we use the equation P = V_{max}I_{max}cos\theta where V_{max} = 120V and I_{max} = 5A. We also know that the phase angle between V and I is 25° (0.436 radians). Plugging these values into the equation, we get P = 120V * 5A * cos(25°) = 543.8 watts.
Revvi

Homework Statement

In a different RLC circuit the generator provides a voltage V(t) = 120 sin(2π60t) so that the current in the circuit is I(t) = 5 sin(2π60t +Φ). The phase angle Φ is 25° (0.436 radians). What is the maximum power dissipated in this circuit?

Homework Equations

P = IV (both rms)

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply took the max voltage and current (120 and 5) and plugged them into the rms & power equations. From that, I got the answer to be 600 watts. However, I know that the answer is going to be decreased by some factor because of the phase angle difference. Should end up being 543.8 watts but I don't know how to get to that answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the question is asking for the maximum power dissipated, you don't want to use rms values. This circuit is AC because the voltage and current are sine functions of time. Power in AC is [tex]P = V_{max}I_{max}cos[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex], where [tex]cos[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex] is the power factor. The power factor tells you how much real power the circuit can dissipate, since only part of the voltage V is in the direction of I ([tex]V_{max}cos[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]). In DC, V and I are always synchronized, so the phase angle between them is [tex]\theta[/tex] = 0 and the power factor is [tex]cos(0) = 1[/tex].

Last edited:

1. What is power dissipation in a circuit?

Power dissipation in a circuit refers to the amount of energy that is converted into heat within a circuit due to the presence of resistance. This dissipated power is a result of the flow of current through a circuit and can be calculated using the formula P = I^2R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance.

2. How does the phase difference between voltage and current affect power dissipation in a circuit?

The phase difference between voltage and current can affect power dissipation in a circuit because it determines the effective resistance of the circuit. When voltage and current are in phase, the effective resistance is equal to the actual resistance of the circuit. However, when voltage and current are out of phase, the effective resistance increases, leading to more power dissipation in the circuit.

3. What is the power factor and how does it relate to power dissipation in a circuit?

The power factor is a measure of the efficiency of a circuit and is calculated by dividing the real power (in watts) by the apparent power (in volt-amperes). A power factor of 1 indicates that all the power is being used effectively in the circuit, while a power factor less than 1 suggests that there is power dissipation due to the presence of reactive components such as inductors and capacitors.

4. How can power dissipation be minimized in a circuit?

To minimize power dissipation in a circuit, one can use components with lower resistance values, reduce the phase difference between voltage and current, or improve the power factor. Additionally, using more efficient components and designing circuits with better heat dissipation can also help reduce power dissipation.

5. What are the consequences of high power dissipation in a circuit?

High power dissipation in a circuit can lead to overheating, which can damage components and reduce the overall efficiency of the circuit. It can also result in energy wastage and increased electricity costs. In extreme cases, high power dissipation can even cause fires or other safety hazards.