Optics [refraction] - What is the actual angle from the surface of the water

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the actual angle from the water given the apparent angle of refraction. The formula n1 * sin i = n2 * sin r is mentioned as a possible solution, but the problem is identified as a lack of understanding in basic geometry. The answer is determined to be 37 degrees, which is related to the fact that 53 degrees and 37 degrees add up to 90 degrees. The location and definition of the actual angle from the water is clarified and a modified picture is provided to help with the calculation. The final question is to determine the value of the angle of refraction.
Paulo Serrano

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3072/refractiong.jpg

The apparent angle from the water is 53 degrees, but what is the actual angle from the water?

Homework Equations

n1 * sin i = n2 * sin r

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the real problem here is I'm not seeing some basic geometry stuff. The answer is 37 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which angle in the drawing is "the actual angle from the water"? How is it defined? Does it help to point out the numerological result that 53o+37o=90o?

That "actual angle" is the angle from the horizontal line (the water line) and the red line representing the light from the lamp (the one that is smaller than 53 degrees).

And yeah, I guess it makes sense than 90-53=37, but why that is the right answer I do not know.

OK, can you find the 53o angle somewhere between the lines you have drawn below the surface of the water? Look at your drawing. The continuation of the lines that form the 53o in air, form what angle on the other side? How is that related to the angle of refraction?

Last edited:
To help Kuruman, I modified your picture, showing the angle of incidence (i) and the angle of refraction (r). Look at the drawing, and find the value of r.

ehild

Attachments

• underwater.JPG
    underwater.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 438

1. What is optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of light and its behavior. It involves the study of the properties and phenomena of light, such as reflection, refraction, diffraction, and interference.

2. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes from one medium to another. This phenomenon occurs because light travels at different speeds in different mediums, causing it to change direction when it enters a new medium.

3. How does refraction work?

Refraction works by changing the direction of light as it passes through a medium with a different density. This change in direction is caused by the difference in speed of light in the two mediums.

4. What is the actual angle from the surface of the water?

The actual angle from the surface of the water is the angle between the incident light ray and the normal line (a line perpendicular to the surface of the water) at the point where the light enters the water. This angle is also known as the angle of incidence.

5. How is the angle of refraction calculated?

The angle of refraction is calculated using Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two mediums.