Astronomy Software - Professional Recommendations

In summary, the conversation was about finding a professional astronomy software that could show the positions of planets and the sun at a specific time and location. Several software options were suggested, including Starry Night, Stellarium, World Wide Telescope, and TheSkyX. The conversation also delved into the topic of precession and how it affects the positions of the sun and constellations.
mreq
Hy. I'm looking for a professional astronomy software. Anybody knows ?
Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
To do what? Nobody can give you an answer unless you can frame the question.

Too see the planets how they were some centuries ago, and the sun. The moore details the better.
I want to give a precise hour and date and to see how the planets where on the sky (distance, degrees etc).

Then you need a simple planetarium software package - nothing designed for professionals. Just Google "planetarium software" and see what you come up with.

turbo-1 said:
Then you need a simple planetarium software package - nothing designed for professionals. Just Google "planetarium software" and see what you come up with.

I think i need to be profesional because there would be more things that i want to do.

russ_watters said:
I use Starry Night: http://store.starrynight.com/

I hate this progam. I recommend Stellarium, its free and open source and much less clunky to use than starrynight.

I want to recreate astrological events with it. Can it do that ?

mreq said:
I want to recreate astrological events with it. Can it do that ?
Definitely.

Mu naught said:
I hate this progam. I recommend Stellarium, its free and open source and much less clunky to use than starrynight.
It is a processor hog, that's for sure. I'll give Stellarium a try.

russ_watters said:
Definitely.

Can i see the sun in constelations (by degrees) ? How ?

World Wide Telescope by Microsoft is my favourite astro software. for planets it will do what you are asking for just fine, but where it really shines is in viewing the universe in IR, Radio, Xray and visual.

mreq said:
Can i see the sun in constelations (by degrees) ? How ?
Well if you want to do it now and cheap, just download Stellarium and try it! I've already done it since this morning - I'm surprised you haven't! In Stellarium (or most other programs) you just enter your location and date/time and just click on the sun and it'll tell you where it is.

http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/"

That is another awesome one, which shows more than just planets, and let's you view something from another thing. (very descriptive)

Last edited by a moderator:
KalamMekhar said:
http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/"

That is another awesome one, which shows more than just planets, and let's you view something from another thing. (very descriptive)
How do i go back in time ?

That one seems to have limited ability to go back in time.

As already suggested, World wide telescope will work for what you want.
http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Home.aspx

For instance, here is a screen shot of the program showing the Feb 26, 1979 total solar eclipse as seen from Portland, Or.

Attachments

• wwtele.jpg
    wwtele.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 491
On a side note, I use WWT to help me discern what I am looking at. It is much easier to use WWT because it is actual images, instead of simulated stars. I was completely lost on what I was looking at between Denebola and Vindemiatrix with all of the galaxies there, but I was able to know all of them.

Janus said:
As already suggested, World wide telescope will work for what you want.
http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Home.aspx

For instance, here is a screen shot of the program showing the Feb 26, 1979 total solar eclipse as seen from Portland, Or.

How do i see the coordinates of the planets (in degrees) in constelations, for a specific time and location ?

Click the "view" menu and enter the location and time. Then double click on the object you want to look at to center it: the RA and DEC coordinates are at the bottom right corner of the screen.

What about the time ? Is it gregorian ? Can it be switched ?

mreq said:
What about the time ? Is it gregorian ? Can it be switched ?
Yes. If you want to use a different one, you'll have to make the conversion yourself.

What about the moon position and the other planets from a certain point from Earth ?

Yes.

How ?
I don't know how to use it.

http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/experienceit/experienceit.aspx"

May I suggest just opening WWT up and fiddling with it for an hour or two?

Why the Earth is in Gemini constelation. Shouldn't be in Cancer ?

There are perturbative [interactive gravitional] effects that make it extraordinarily difficult to precisely calculate planetary positions over long periods of time - even without factoring in the occasional rogue comet or asteroid.

mreq said:
Why the Earth is in Gemini constelation. Shouldn't be in Cancer ?

I assume that you mean why is the Sun actually in Gemini rather than Cancer as according to the Horoscope?

Due to the precession of the equinoxes, The Sun drifts through the Zodiac at a rate of 1.4° per century. The Horoscope signs where named 2500 years ago when this was not known, and the Astrological dates have not been adjusted to match it.

The precession of the equinoxes is caused because the Earth wobbles slowly like a top as it spins on its axis. This causes the Tropical year(spring equinox to spring equinox) to be a slightly different length than the sidereal year (the time it takes for the Sun to return to the same position relative to the stars). This in turn causes the Seasons(and the calendar date) and the position of the Sun relative to the Stars to slowly drift with respect to each other.

If you want astronomy software that's quite powerful, and good to look at too, you might research TheSkyX from Software Bisque.
http://www.bisque.com/"

[Edit: If time is important, this software package allows you to "Input any date from 4,712 B.C. to A.D. 10,000 and any time to show a beautiful star chart for your location." (source: http://www.bisque.com/help/theskyx%20pro%20info/welcome.htm" , in the upper left hand corner click on "TheSkyX Professional Edition Website," then "Standard Features and Sample Screens," then on the right panel scroll down to the "Control the Date and Time" section.)]

What is astronomy software and what is its purpose?

Astronomy software is a type of computer program that is specifically designed for astronomers to aid in their research and observations. Its purpose is to help astronomers analyze and interpret data, simulate astronomical events, and make accurate predictions.

What are some features to look for in professional astronomy software?

Some important features to consider when choosing professional astronomy software include accuracy, ease of use, compatibility with different operating systems, data visualization tools, and the ability to handle large datasets. It is also important to consider the specific needs and research goals of the user when selecting a software.

What are some commonly used professional astronomy software?

Some widely used professional astronomy software include Starry Night Pro Plus, SkySafari, Stellarium, TheSkyX, and MaxIm DL. These software offer a variety of features such as 3D visualization, telescope control, and data analysis tools.

Is professional astronomy software necessary for amateur astronomers?

While professional astronomy software may offer advanced features and tools, it is not necessary for amateur astronomers. There are many free or low-cost astronomy software options available that can still provide valuable information and aid in observations for amateur astronomers.

What are the benefits of using professional astronomy software?

Professional astronomy software can greatly enhance the accuracy and efficiency of astronomical research and observations. It can also provide access to advanced tools and features that may not be available in free software. Additionally, professional astronomy software is often regularly updated and supported by a team of experts, ensuring its reliability and usefulness.