Motion in curves - Find radial and circumferential components of V and A

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the radial and circumferential components of velocity and acceleration at time t = 2, given the position vector R = (t^2-1)i + 2tj. The equations Vr = V * Ur and Vθ = V * Uθ are used to find the components, but there is confusion about their applicability when the position vector is a function of t and not θ. It is suggested to write θ in terms of t to simplify the calculations.
thaer_dude

Homework Statement

At time t, a comet has the position R = (t2-1)i + 2tj

At t = 2, find the radial and circumferential components of velocity and acceleration

Homework Equations

Vr = V * Ur
Vθ = V * Uθ

ar = a * Ur
aθ = a * Uθ

Ur = cosθ i + sinθ j
Uθ = -sinθ i + cosθ j

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found

v = 2ti + 2j
a= 2i

However, am I allowed to use these equations when the position vector is a function of t and not a function of θ? I'm not very good at polar coordinates so I'm really not sure if I can apply the above equations to my problem right away. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
so you've found the correct equations for v & a in caretseian coords, however now you must find their projection in the radial and theta directions

Yeah, but say I do Vr = V * Ur

I would get

Vr = (2t i + 2 j) * (cosθ i + sinθ j)
Vr = 2tcosθ i + 2sinθ j

Is that right? It strikes me as odd that the Vr I found has both θ and t in it.

thaer_dude said:

I would get

Vr = 2tcosθ i + 2sinθ j

if that is a dot product, then it should have a scalar result, not a vector
Vr = (2t i + 2 j) * (cosθ i + sinθ j) = 2tcosθ + 2sinθ

And it should be a simple exercise to write theta in terms of t

Last edited:
thaer_dude said:

I would get

Vr = 2tcosθ i + 2sinθ j

What sort of multiplication gives: (2t i + 2 j) * (cosθ i + sinθ j) = 2t*cosθ i + 2sinθ j ?

1. What is the difference between radial and circumferential components of velocity and acceleration?

The radial component of velocity and acceleration refers to the component that is directed towards or away from the center of curvature of a curved path. The circumferential component, on the other hand, is perpendicular to the radial component and is tangent to the curved path.

2. How do you find the radial component of velocity and acceleration?

To find the radial component of velocity and acceleration, you first need to determine the direction of the center of curvature of the curved path. Then, you can use the formula vr = v cosθ and ar = a cosθ, where v and a are the total velocity and acceleration, and θ is the angle between the velocity/acceleration vector and the radius vector.

3. How do you find the circumferential component of velocity and acceleration?

To find the circumferential component of velocity and acceleration, you can use the formula vc = v sinθ and ac = a sinθ, where v and a are the total velocity and acceleration, and θ is the angle between the velocity/acceleration vector and the radius vector.

4. Can the radial and circumferential components of velocity and acceleration be negative?

Yes, both the radial and circumferential components of velocity and acceleration can be negative. This means that the velocity or acceleration vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the corresponding component.

5. How are the radial and circumferential components of velocity and acceleration related to each other?

The radial and circumferential components of velocity and acceleration are perpendicular to each other and together they make up the total velocity and acceleration vector. The sum of the squares of these two components is equal to the square of the total velocity or acceleration. This relationship is known as the Pythagorean theorem.