Voltage divider in transformers?

In summary, V1 and V2 are voltages determined by the properties of the coils in the transformer. The number of turns and polarity of the windings will affect the voltage division between the two transformers. The primary winding needs to have enough turns to provide adequate inductance to limit the current drawn from the supply.
kevs926
i never heard of such a thing but what could be the circuit analysis to this?

http://i.imgur.com/Zd6qn.jpg

what is V1 and V2?

what could make V1 and V2 not equal?

Engineering news on Phys.org
V1 and V2 would be voltages. The values of V1 and V2 will be determined by the properties of the coils shown.

For a more complete answer you should post more details.

I can think of two practical situations you might be describing.

1) Transformers made for international markets sometimes have two primaries. The primaries are connected in series (as you have shown) for 200 - 250 volts and in parallel for 100 - 120 volt supplies.

2) Some circuits are sensitive to smaller variations in supply so the primary has taps or again there is a second primary with fewer turns. For 230 volt supplies the main primary only would be connected, for 215 volt supplies the second primary or tap would be added in series with the main.

In this case V1 = 215 & V2 = 15.

Hope this helps

go well

Integral said:
V1 and V2 would be voltages. The values of V1 and V2 will be determined by the properties of the coils shown.

yeah this is what I am asking. what kind of properties would affect the voltage division on both transformers

for the example, how can you make 215 V1 and 15 V2? do i use 215turns on T1 and 15turns on T2? or do i use 2.15ohms internal resistance on V1 and 0.15 internal resistance on V2?

kevs926 said:
yeah this is what I am asking. what kind of properties would affect the voltage division on both transformers

for the example, how can you make 215 V1 and 15 V2? do i use 215turns on T1 and 15turns on T2? or do i use 2.15ohms internal resistance on V1 and 0.15 internal resistance on V2?

The voltages in a transformer are determined by the turns ratio of the windings.

So, if one winding has 100 turns and you apply 20 volts to it, then another winding that has 200 turns will produce 40 volts across it.
You can see that the voltage is related to the turns ratio.

Note, though, that the number of turns is not completely optional. If you had only had one turn and two turns, the transformer primary would not have enough inductance to limit the current drawn from the 20 volt supply.

As a rough guide, small power transformers need about 5 turns per volt. So, a 10 volt winding would need 50 turns.

If you have a transformer that is already constructed, you can put windings in series and the result will depend on the polarity of the windings. They may add to each other or they may subtract, depending on which way you connect them.

1. What is a voltage divider in transformers?

A voltage divider in transformers is a circuit that divides the input voltage into smaller output voltages. It is typically used in step-down transformers to reduce high voltages to lower levels for safe use in appliances and devices.

2. How does a voltage divider work in a transformer?

A voltage divider in a transformer works by utilizing two or more resistors in series to divide the input voltage. The output voltage is determined by the ratio of the resistors, with the smaller resistor producing a lower output voltage and the larger resistor producing a higher output voltage.

3. What is the purpose of a voltage divider in a transformer?

The purpose of a voltage divider in a transformer is to reduce the input voltage to a safe and usable level for appliances and devices. It also helps to regulate the output voltage, ensuring that it remains consistent even with fluctuations in the input voltage.

4. What factors affect the output voltage in a voltage divider transformer?

The output voltage in a voltage divider transformer is affected by the ratio of the resistors, the input voltage, and the load resistance. The output voltage will decrease as the load resistance increases, and vice versa.

5. What are some applications of voltage dividers in transformers?

Voltage dividers in transformers are commonly used in electronic devices such as power supplies, battery chargers, and audio amplifiers. They are also used in power distribution systems to regulate voltage levels for residential and industrial use.