What is the Best Shape for a Hose Clamp to Provide Predictable Friction Loss?

In summary, a researcher is looking for the best shape for a hose clamp to ensure a consistent and predictable friction loss in the 1 to 2 psi range. The hose diameter will be either 3 or 4 inches and the water flow will typically be in the range of 10 to 50 gpm. The researcher has considered different shapes, including a "venturi" shape and an orifice plate, but is looking for suggestions from others with fluid mechanics expertise. The suggested website, pressure-drop.com, offers an online calculator for determining pressure drop for a gradual contraction, which could be a potential solution for the researcher's needs.
bob_at_cw
I am researching the best shape for a hose clamp to provide a consistent and predictable friction loss in the 1 to 2 psi range. The hose diameter will be either 3 or 4 inches and the water flow will typically be in the range of 10 to 50 gpm. The idea is that the hose clamp can be finely adjusted to a set-point to provide the desired friction loss.

I've considered a "venturi" shape versus a sudden contraction/sudden expansion shape to provide flow characteristics that are predictable but most references that I have look at it from the standpoint of accounting for "minor losses" rather than defining a precise relationship.

My fluid mechanics skills are quite dusty at present and so I would like to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
An orifice plate may be a good choice. There is a "recoverable" and "unrecoverable" pressure drop. There are many calculators available and most orifice plate manufacturers could also tell these two values.

Thank you for the excellent suggestion. I do, however, need for the device to be non-invasive to the hose.

OK, I see what you are trying to do.

Go to this website

http://pressure-drop.com/

Use the online calculation. Enter a "gradual contraction." I put in 30 gpm, and a 3" X 1.25" contraction with 45 deg angle, provides a 1.5 psi pressure drop.

Thanks edgepflow! - that is a great reference.

What is predictable friction loss?

Predictable friction loss refers to the amount of energy or pressure that is lost due to the resistance of a fluid, such as water, as it flows through a pipe or conduit. This loss is predictable because it can be calculated and accounted for in any fluid flow system.

How is predictable friction loss calculated?

Predictable friction loss is typically calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as the length and diameter of the pipe, the velocity of the fluid, and the roughness of the pipe's interior surface. Other equations, such as the Hazen-Williams equation, may also be used depending on the specific application.

Why is predictable friction loss important in fluid flow systems?

Predictable friction loss is important because it affects the efficiency and effectiveness of fluid flow systems. If friction loss is not properly accounted for, it can result in lower flow rates, increased energy costs, and potential damage to the system. By accurately predicting and minimizing friction loss, engineers can design more efficient and cost-effective fluid flow systems.

What factors can affect predictable friction loss?

Several factors can affect predictable friction loss, including the type and viscosity of the fluid being transported, the size and condition of the pipe, and the flow rate. Additionally, changes in temperature, elevation, and other environmental factors may also impact friction loss.

How can predictable friction loss be reduced?

Predictable friction loss can be reduced by using pipes with smoother interior surfaces, increasing the diameter of the pipe, and minimizing bends and turns in the system. Additionally, using pumps or other devices to increase the fluid's velocity can also help reduce friction loss. Regular maintenance and cleaning of pipes can also help prevent buildup and reduce friction loss.