Solve 2-D Spring Problem: 21.75 & 22.25 Equations

• Thread starter morgan82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with two equations and finding the total weight on a spring. The equations involve a constant k and length Lc, and the total weight is calculated to be 31.25 lb. The maximum compression of the spring is 6.25 inches and there is a suggested adjustment for calibration. It is also mentioned that the chosen spring should be able to withstand the necessary compression without bottoming out.
morgan82
http://i.imgur.com/uKydC.png

Here is the problem. I came up with two equations:

Upper Lc: 21.75=k(Lo-Lcu)
Lower Lc: 22.25=k(Lo-Lcl)

I am not sure what to do with this? How do I figure this out?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Total weight on spring = 8 + 22 + scale platform + .25 . If you use 1 lb for the platform then total = 31.25 lb. Assuming k = 5 lb/in then d = (.25 + .25) / 5 + .5 = .6 inches. Max spring compression would be 31.25 / 5 = 6.25 inches. Starting with a 13 in. long spring leaves 6.75 for h. I would expect you would need to plan some adjustment for calibration. This also assumes the chosen spring can be compressed the needed amount without bottoming out.

What is the 2-D spring problem and how is it solved?

The 2-D spring problem involves finding the equilibrium position of a spring that is attached to two fixed points in a two-dimensional plane. This is typically solved using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement.

What are the equations used to solve the 2-D spring problem?

The two equations used to solve the 2-D spring problem are the force balance equation and Hooke's Law. The force balance equation involves setting the sum of all forces acting on the spring equal to zero, while Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by the spring is equal to the spring constant multiplied by the displacement.

What values are needed to solve the 2-D spring problem?

To solve the 2-D spring problem, you will need to know the spring constant, the equilibrium position, and the position of the two fixed points. Additionally, you may need to know the mass attached to the spring and any external forces acting on the system.

What is the significance of the values 21.75 and 22.25 in the equations?

The values 21.75 and 22.25 represent the equilibrium positions of the spring in the two-dimensional plane. These values are typically determined by setting up a coordinate system and measuring the displacement of the spring from its resting position.

What are some common applications of the 2-D spring problem?

The 2-D spring problem has many practical applications, such as in the design of suspension systems, shock absorbers, and other mechanical systems. It is also useful in understanding the behavior of materials and structures under different loads and forces.