Is Weapons Engineering Ethically Justifiable?

In summary, the individual is currently pursuing a Physics BSc and is considering a career as a weapons engineer in the U.S. Despite facing criticism for this career path, the individual believes it is not ethically wrong and argues that their presence could lead to improvements in existing weapons technology. However, they are seeking input from others on the ethical implications of this career choice and their personal beliefs about the use of weapons.
admiralmurf
I am currently doing my Physics BSc and I'm thinking about my future job. So far, I've decided that I would like to go to the U.S. and do a Masters in Mechanical Engineering, and then become a weapons engineer.

Generally, this is met by people telling me I would be a killer, and shouldn't follow this career path. I personally feel that this is not ethically wrong. I feel this way due to a number of reasons. Firstly, I'm sure someone else would take my place if I didn't get this job. Furthermore, I feel as though my presence could only improve what already exists, whereas my absence (or perhaps the absence of all weapons engineers) could only lead to what already exists remaining, which includes missiles, bombs and firearms.

I would really appreciate hearing from other people with an opinion on this, with perhaps some other arguments for each side.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The argument that someone else would do it if you didn't has nothing to do with ethics. The ethics comes from your personal beliefs about what the weapons are used for, ie, defense of your country.

admiralmurf said:
Generally, this is met by people telling me I would be a killer, and shouldn't follow this career path.

Does this bother you (It appears that it does, or that you're wondering if it should)? If so, why are you concerned with what other people think?

admiralmurf said:
Firstly, I'm sure someone else would take my place if I didn't get this job.

Weak sauce. As stated by Russ, it has nothing to do with ethics.

admiralmurf said:
Furthermore, I feel as though my presence could only improve what already exists, whereas my absence (or perhaps the absence of all weapons engineers) could only lead to what already exists remaining, which includes missiles, bombs and firearms.

OK. So why are you concerned with advancement of weapons technology?

You haven't stated anything you really think about weapons/weapons technology yet, much less made an ethical argument. Try stating what you think before asking for others to tell you what you want to hear.

1. What are the ethical considerations in weapons engineering?

The ethical considerations in weapons engineering primarily revolve around the potential harm and destruction that these weapons can cause. Engineers must consider the consequences of their creations and the impact they may have on human life, the environment, and international relations. They must also consider the potential misuse of their weapons and how to prevent it.

2. How do engineers ensure ethical practices in weapons engineering?

Engineers must adhere to ethical frameworks and principles, such as the Hippocratic Oath and the Geneva Conventions, which prioritize the well-being of humanity. They must also follow strict regulations and guidelines set by international organizations and governments to ensure the responsible development and use of weapons.

3. What are the challenges in implementing ethical practices in weapons engineering?

One major challenge is the pressure to innovate and develop more advanced and powerful weapons, often at the expense of ethical considerations. Additionally, the lack of transparency and accountability in the defense industry can make it difficult to ensure ethical practices are being followed.

4. How do the ethics of weapons engineering differ from other fields of engineering?

The ethics of weapons engineering differ from other fields of engineering in that the end goal is to create instruments of harm rather than tools to benefit society. This raises unique ethical concerns and requires a higher level of responsibility and accountability from engineers.

5. What role do engineers play in the ethical use of weapons?

Engineers have a crucial role in the ethical use of weapons. They are responsible for developing and designing these weapons, and therefore, must consider the ethical implications of their creations. They also have a responsibility to speak out against the misuse of their weapons and advocate for ethical practices within the industry.