Solving Predator & Prey Equation: Rabbit Pop w/ No Wolves

• Thread starter wallz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a question on predator and prey populations, with the focus being on what happens to the rabbit population in the absence of wolves. The equations for rabbits and wolves were discussed, and it was noted that when W = 0, the equations simplify to dR/dt= 0.08R(1-0.0002). The concept of separable equations was mentioned, but it was clarified that it is not necessary for this specific case. It was also noted that intuitively, if either population is 0, it will remain 0 forever. The conversation ended with the acknowledgment that for the general case, a separable equation can be used.
wallz
i was doing some practise problems to see how much of the material i understand
well I'm having a lot of trouble with this differential equations chapter in my textbook , especially the predator and prey questions

so you have rabbits and wolves

Rabbits: dR/dt= 0.08R(1-0.0002)-0.001RW
Wolves: dW/dt= -0.02W+ 0.00002RW

The question is asking what happens to the rabbit population in the absence of wolves?

well first i just let w=0 in the rabbits equation
but then after that i had no luck, i tried the concepts i learned about separable equations however there is no t term in the equation
am i missing something? how do i go about doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
dR/dt= 0.08R(1-0.0002)-0.001RW
w->0
dR/dt= 0.08R(1-0.0002)
can you see what happens now?

you do not need t terms to separate (you will get some by integration)
dR/dt= 0.08R(1-0.0002)

dR/R= 0.08(1-0.0002)dt

OHHHHHHHH
that last part totally slipped my mind
i will try that
thank you

hmm i looked up the answer and steps were shown that i don't fully understand
after letting w=0, dR/dt=0, and the book tells me R equals 0 or 5000 then

Something is odd about those equations. If W = 0 at any point W = 0 forever. So the equations reduce to:

dR/dt= 0.08R(1-0.0002)-0.001R(0)

dR/dt= 0.08R(1-0.0002)

Talking about 'separable equations' is already on a too-advanced lesson for the case where either of the variables = 0. You are with one of the most elementary (and common) d.e.'s you ever have to deal with.

Intuitively also fairly obvious qualitatively what happens. If there are no predators what would happen to a rabbit population? If there are no rabbits, i.e. nothing to eat in this simple model, what would happen to a wolf population?

Also not surprising if either of them is 0 it is 0 forever.

Yes, for the general case there is a separable equation which is not that difficult.

1. What is the Predator-Prey equation for rabbit population with no wolves?

The predator-prey equation for rabbit population with no wolves is a simple exponential growth equation, where the rate of change of the rabbit population (dR/dt) is equal to the intrinsic growth rate (r) multiplied by the current population size (R).

2. How do you solve the Predator-Prey equation for rabbit population with no wolves?

To solve the predator-prey equation for rabbit population with no wolves, we use calculus to find the function for the rabbit population over time. We then use this function to predict the future population size of rabbits.

3. What factors affect the rabbit population in the Predator-Prey equation with no wolves?

The rabbit population in the Predator-Prey equation with no wolves is affected by factors such as available resources, competition with other species, and predation from other animals. These factors can impact the intrinsic growth rate (r) and therefore, the overall population size.

4. How accurate is the Predator-Prey equation for predicting rabbit population with no wolves?

The accuracy of the Predator-Prey equation for predicting rabbit population with no wolves depends on the accuracy of the initial data and the assumptions made in the equation. In real-world situations, there may be other factors at play that can affect the population dynamics, so the equation may not always provide an accurate prediction.

5. How can the Predator-Prey equation with no wolves be applied in real-world situations?

The Predator-Prey equation with no wolves can be applied in real-world situations to study and understand the population dynamics of different species. It can also be used to make predictions about how changes in environmental factors or interventions can impact the population size of a particular species. However, it is important to keep in mind that the equation is a simplified model and may not always accurately reflect real-world scenarios.