Dividing a circle for a stator

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking assistance with understanding math on a website. They question the accuracy of the math and provide their own calculations. They also mention considering a project but may not if the math is incorrect. The conversation ends with the person realizing they may be missing something in their trigonometry knowledge.
MacLaddy
Gold Member
Not a homework question, I was just hoping someone could assist me with understanding some math. Actually, more accurately, I was wondering if someone could double check the math on the following website.

http://www.otherpower.com/statormold.shtml

If you scroll down you will see some explanations on how to accurately divide the circle into nine equal parts, but I believe he is doing it incorrectly. See where the "Sides, Angles, and Sines" paper is shown. Seems odd that he would be using the [tex]\sin20\deg[/tex] when it is [tex]40\deg[/tex].

Wouldn't you just do the following

[tex]\frac{\pi12}{9}~=~4.188...[/tex]

Thanks for any input you can offer. I have been considering taking up this project, but if the math is wrong I may not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, I digress. I realized that I needed to figure out the "chord" for the angle, as it will not follow the arc. So I used the formula [tex]c~=~r\sqrt{2-2cos40}[/tex]. That gave the same answer that he was coming up with by just multiplying [tex]\sin20~by~12.[/tex]

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section, it just seemed appropriate here due to the subject matter.

Apparently I'm missing something in my trig knowledge.

Last edited:

1. How do you divide a circle for a stator?

To divide a circle for a stator, you will need a protractor and a ruler. First, mark the center point of the circle. Then, using the protractor, divide the circle into equal angles based on the number of stator poles required. Next, use the ruler to draw lines from the center point to the outer edge of the circle, creating the stator pole boundaries.

2. What is the purpose of dividing a circle for a stator?

The purpose of dividing a circle for a stator is to create equal segments for the stator poles, which are essential components in electric motors. These poles help to create a magnetic field that interacts with the rotor to produce motion.

3. How many poles should a stator have?

The number of poles on a stator can vary depending on the type of motor and its intended use. Generally, the number of poles is determined by the speed and torque requirements of the motor, with larger motors typically having more poles. Common numbers of poles for stators include 4, 6, or 8.

4. Can a circle be divided into an odd number of sections for a stator?

Yes, a circle can be divided into an odd number of sections for a stator. However, this may result in unevenly sized stator poles, which can affect the performance of the motor. It is more common to divide a circle into an even number of sections to ensure equal pole sizes.

5. Are there any special techniques for dividing a circle for a stator?

One common technique for dividing a circle for a stator is to use a compass instead of a protractor. This allows for more precise measurements and can help to create evenly sized stator poles. Additionally, some advanced methods, such as the parabola method, can be used for more complex stator designs.