Is this too much for a semester?

• Thread starter SMA_01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Semester
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of taking a double major in Math and Chemistry during the Fall semester in college. The participants discuss the workload and course load required for a double major, with some suggesting that it is manageable while others believe it may be too much. Some participants also share their own experiences with taking a heavy course load and completing a double major in four years. Overall, the general consensus is that a double major in Math and Chemistry is possible but may require careful planning and time management.
SMA_01
Next semester will be my second year in college, I'm considering a double major in Math and Chemistry, do you guys think this is too much for the Fall semester:

Organic Chem 1
Molec &Cellular Biology
Calculus 3
Am considering Math proof and structures (or is that too much?)
And maybe a history class

Is this like impossible?

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like a normal course load. If calculus 3 isn't proof based, and with that history course thrown in, it's on the lighter side, I'd say. So don't sweat it.

Last edited:
Judge it by credits.

How many credits did you take last semester? How did the workload feel? Could you do more? Did you feel swamped?

A standard course load is generally five courses. If you're planning to double major, you might want to bump that up to six if you want to finish 'on time'.

A standard course load is 4 in general. A standard course load for overachievers is 5. Since Math and Chem don't really have a lot of overlap, 4 classes a semester will not be enough if you want to get a double major. Have you worked out your four year schedule at all so figure out what classes you need to take and when you'll need to take them to get a double major and then checked it with an advisor in either department? I'd suggest you do that.

zif. said:
A standard course load is generally five courses. If you're planning to double major, you might want to bump that up to six if you want to finish 'on time'.

... or take courses in the summer, if possible. When I was in college, I took summer courses, plus a 6th course for a number of semesters, in order to graduate on time with a double major and a minor.

Cider said:
A standard course load is 4 in general.

Not from my experience, or from what I've seen from various college catalogs. There are many colleges/universities where the the "typical" course is 3 credits - for these, 5 courses would be the normal course load. For schools where the "typical" course is 4 credits, 4 courses would then be the normal course load. These are for schools in the US, and there may be other variations.

Cider said:
A standard course load is 4 in general. A standard course load for overachievers is 5.

So being done in 4 years in being an overachiever?

120 credits to graduate (non-honours) requires 15 credits per semester over eight semesters.

One course is typically 3 credits.

I know a couple guys in EngPhys that take 8 or 9 classes per semester. THAT'S overachiever status IMO.

No way! Zif. 8 or 9 classes? That's literally impossible. I did 6 classes one semester and was totally swamped... there's no way they did good in those classes.

4 is a light-load if you are working part-time or something, 5 is the regular amount for full-time school, and 6 is really hard!

I think it really depends on the classes. I did five classes with ease for two semesters, but they were English, history, political science, below-calculus mathematics, and philosophy/sociology. I'll be doing six this fall: differential equations, vector calculus, intro to aerospace engineering, statics, a survey course on some topic (haven't found one yet), and an engineering graphics course. I might throw in an introductory French class too if I'm feeling particularly insane. The only reason I'm considering this many classes is because I'll be self-studying diff EQ's over the summer, vector calculus I've already partially covered (and will be covering some more over the summer), and intro to AE isn't a big deal.

The OP's load is reasonable, even a little light. O-chem is the only thing I'd be leery about.

Caramon said:
No way! Zif. 8 or 9 classes? That's literally impossible. I did 6 classes one semester and was totally swamped... there's no way they did good in those classes.

4 is a light-load if you are working part-time or something, 5 is the regular amount for full-time school, and 6 is really hard!
These are EngPhys students at UBC. I don't think they're human.

The regular course load for EngPhys is already six or seven classes per semester with no room for electives. These guys are just taking classes that interest them on top of their normal classes.

Yeah, I did a combined honours degree in both Physics & Mathematics at UBC, I took 6 one semester.
-3 Math Courses (1 300-level, 2 400-level)
-2 Physics Courses (both 400-level)
-1 Philosophy Course (300-level)

And it was absolutely insane! 9 classes is absolutely impossible, I don't believe anyone ever taking that and doing good, sure barely passing... I know the "superhuman asians" at UBC, I'm one of the "superhuman white people". XD

In undergrad, I was friends with a guy who doubled in EE/Phys who pulled over 30 credit hours in a semester multiple times. Sometimes that included graduate physics courses, as he and I took some for giggles. He graduated with a 3.93, so I assume he did well. I wouldn't call it impossible.

People who think that it is impossible to take a double course load are just overestimating their own performance level. Just because it takes X hours to learn Y things for some person doesn't mean that it is the same for everyone else, there are plenty of examples of people taking such a heavy course load.

1. Is it possible to handle this workload for a semester?

It is possible to handle a heavy workload for a semester, but it largely depends on the individual's time management skills and ability to handle stress. It is important to prioritize tasks and take breaks to avoid burnout.

2. How many courses is considered too much for a semester?

This can vary for each person and their academic strengths and abilities. A general guideline is to take no more than 15-18 credit hours per semester, or 5-6 courses. However, it is important to also consider the difficulty level of each course.

3. Will taking too many courses affect my grades?

Taking on a heavy course load can certainly impact one's grades if not managed properly. It is important to ensure that enough time and effort is devoted to each course, and to communicate with professors if necessary. It is also important to take care of one's mental and physical health to maintain academic success.

4. How can I balance a heavy course load with extracurricular activities?

Balancing a heavy course load with extracurricular activities can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize and manage time effectively. One can also consider dropping or reducing involvement in certain activities if necessary. It is also important to communicate with professors and activity leaders to ensure a manageable workload.

5. Are there any resources available to help manage a heavy course load?

Most universities offer academic support resources such as tutoring, study groups, and time management workshops. It is also helpful to meet with academic advisors to discuss workload and make adjustments if needed. Additionally, seeking support from friends, family, and mental health professionals can also be beneficial.