What is this field or job called?

• Thread starter nobelium102
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Job
In summary, an astrophysicist studies the universe, galaxies, stars, black holes, and the origins of the solar system.
nobelium102
what is this field or job called??

someone who studies space, black holes, dark matter, theory on bigbang, death and birth of new star, finding out the chances of life in other planets, origin of our solar system, galaxy, predicting when a new meteor would hit earth,

and what would i need to study in graduate school for this? ( i want to study physics in uni)

Physics news on Phys.org

Cosmology - the study of the universe itself i.e it's origins, structure etc.
Astrophysics - the study of the structures within the universe i.e stars, galaxies, black holes etc.

Hi,

I think what you are looking for is 'astrophysicist' in general. To be specific, then lots of different fields study the topics you listed, and there is a fair bit of cross over in astrophysics.

Cosmology - dark matter, big bang, origin of the Galaxy(ies)
General Relativity - black holes
Stellar astrophysics- black holes, stellar birth and evolution, origin of the Solar system(s).
Astrobiology - chances of finding life (or radio astronomy if you're interested in SETI)
Solar System Physics- origin of the Sun, planets, how they interact, meteors.

It depends how much astronomy you get to study as undergrad. If you do a lot then you will know which field you like the most and you can head to a grad school with a strong department in that field. If you are unsure then you can choose a school with a good astrophysics department in general and then take some classes before choosing a research area. I am not from the US, but I think the IFA in Hawaii has a very good general astronomy department (though someone may wish to correct me on this).

You might also want to try getting some astronomy related research under your belt through REUs (in fact the IFA have an REU program).

I wouldn't worry about this too much yet, as you learn this type of thing when you are in University and your lecturers/professors know how to help- (im assuming you're in high school since you said you are going to study physics in Uni).

ahhh, thanks everybody and have a nice day!

This field or job is called astrophysics. It involves studying the physical properties and behavior of objects and phenomena in the universe, including space, black holes, dark matter, the big bang theory, star formation and evolution, planetary systems, and cosmic events such as meteor impacts. To pursue this field, you would need to study physics in undergraduate and graduate school, with a focus on astrophysics or astronomy. You may also need to have strong mathematical skills and familiarity with computer programming and data analysis.

1. What is the field of science called?

The field of science is known as a systematic and organized study of the natural world and the phenomena that occur within it. It involves observation, experimentation, and analysis to understand and explain various aspects of our universe.

2. What is the job of a scientist?

A scientist's job is to conduct research and experiments to gather evidence and gain knowledge about a particular subject or phenomenon. They also analyze data, draw conclusions, and communicate their findings to the scientific community and the general public.

3. What is the difference between a scientist and a researcher?

The terms scientist and researcher are often used interchangeably, but there are subtle differences between the two. A scientist is someone who uses the scientific method to conduct research and make discoveries, while a researcher is someone who investigates a specific topic or problem within a particular field.

4. What are the different fields of science?

The various fields of science include biology, chemistry, physics, earth science, environmental science, astronomy, and many more. Each field focuses on a specific aspect of the natural world and uses different methods and approaches to study it.

5. What skills are needed to be a successful scientist?

To be a successful scientist, one needs to have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and in a team. Additionally, having a strong foundation in mathematics, computer science, and writing can also be beneficial.